"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #51
Cook

This is my first year to bat when it comes to any type of gardening. I was made to do yard work as a kid and in the heat of the day and in Florida. You do the math.

But in my wiser years I am learning to love being in my garden. I just do it late in the afternoon and early evening as not to overheat.

But all in all we are not doing so bad. We have some sweet peppers, along with some green bells. Those are just beginning to flower now. But it is our herbs that are doing great.

We have curly and flat parsley, some garlic, spearmint, oregano, basil (we are making pesto for the first time tonight), cilantro, and dill. And arugula that was to die for.

My pride and joy thought are my tomato plants. I have over 50 plants. Yes, I plan on canning and putting up some jelly as well.

We have okra but I don't know if I will grow them again, they need lots of space and that is one thing I do not have an abundance of right now.

I would like to do cucumbers and did, but they all died. they started out great but fizzled out. I was disappointed, for we all love cucumbers here.

So that is my gardening story.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

did a little searching on the squash. looks like i might have two the same sex. no pollination. now i have forgotten which, but male or female ones don't turn into squash. strange isn't it.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #53
Sous Chef

My zen approach to having my tomato plants grow well in their very roomy pots with fresh potting soil, is being squashed by the weight of rain I've had in the last three days.

I'm sad now, as I did plan for the animal deprivation, but not mother nature crying so much my maters are curling up and turning yellow. :-(

I will be surprised if they last till next Wednesday at the rate thy are cringing.

But I'll keep the faith for them and pray to the green tomato god... uminah, uminah... oh mighty tomato god, please bless these tomatoes so they can be cherished in their role as part of a worshiped BLT......

oh well, sigh.. I can hope. I have a fresh jar of Hellman's with their names on it.

Bob
Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #54
Master Chef

My tomato plants look like fashion models for the perfect tomato plant, which almost scares me. Seriously, I feel sometimes like the uglier, scraggly plants put out more fruit than the pretty ones! Last year they looked so bad at this time that I went and bought a couple more, and had a bumper crop. So the pretty plants are scaring me. I've Super Cayennes and Poblanos, and they're doing fine. What always kills me is that I grow some of them in whiskey half barrels, one of which is in the shade most of the day. Now, peppers are supposed to want, no need, full sun. But that particular barrel always (going on 7 years now) the most prolific producer. Every year I try either zuchini or eggplant, and as usual they're going to be a flop. When I lost my nose a few years ago (I mean my sense of smell, not literally my nose), cukes and watermellon actually smelled terrible to me. I've regained my sense of smell (I think it was a menopause thing), but still don't like cukes and watermellon. This apalls me, those are things I used to love! So, after literally needing to throw cukes away lasts year (I gave away as many as my community could absorb) this year I regretfully didn't grow any, leaving room for more tomatoes and peppers. THe herb garden is going great guns, but I've always had luck with that.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #55
Sous Chef

Claire - Nice update... I've only got the potted tomatoes this year that due to heavy and excessive rain over the last three days, look like their not very happy.

Oh well, some years we're blessed, some we're not. I'm glad you're having a good year.

Bob
Old 06-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #56
Master Chef

Casper, we are in the same sort of weather zone, and the fact that you've planted in pots will probably pan out in the long run, because you have good drainage. The excess water has some place to go. Right now we have such long days (people who live in the south, which I did for much of my life) don't know about these long days. They will really work their magic on those potted plants, and the roots get a chance to dry out between drenchings (and yes, we've had a lot). On top of that, we had a very, very, very, extremely windy spring. I haven't seen so much wind since I was a child living out west. It just sucked the life out of many of my early plantings.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #57
Senior Cook

OK here's my problem...I went out to water my 2 sweet little tomato plants on Friday. They looked good, both had a few little cherry tomatoes, and had lots of buds. I skipped Sat. as I wasn't feeling great and went back on Sun. to check them. Well!!! Something has taken not just the tomatoes, but the whole plants!!! They're both just gone!!! OK, that's my rant for today, gotta go to the MD, see you all this afternoon.!!

Katy
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
did a little searching on the squash. looks like i might have two the same sex. no pollination. now i have forgotten which, but male or female ones don't turn into squash. strange isn't it.
LOL babe, it's the male squash flowers that pollinate the female flowers and the female flowers then go on to develop the fruit. Every squash plant will eventually produce male and female flowers. There is some environmental condition (heat, moisture) that your squash plants are not making the male and female flowers at the same time. They make the male flowers first, just give it time for the female flowers to come along...
Old 06-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like plan. beside squash blooms , i have an odd ball purple flower. what's up with that.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

It's so hot here that my garden is on it's way out. Did get a lot of tomatoes this year! Canned a bunch of salsa. We're still eating them for now, but it's 100 here today and each day the pickings are getting slimmer. Munky, you said you planted red, green, and yellow bells? I did too and never got anything but green on all the bushes! I think somebody screwed the tags up on them.