"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #71
Head Chef

I have no idea how plants cope. We're currently 40ºC (104ºF) in the shade. Most of the plants are down in the fields exposed to the sun. The heat is generating strong winds in the afternoons as air is sucked inland. Not an ideal environment at the moment.

The courgettes (zucchini) are producing far more than we can eat, so I've started giving those away, along with lettuce and cabbage. We've started picking the potatoes, which are delicious.

Onions are looking pretty advanced and I reckon I'll be able to lift some of the sweet ones tonight. Toms are coming along - lots of fruit but none of them red yet. I spotted the first peppers developing this morning. Melons and butternut squash are going great. Caulis developing heads as far as I can see.

I've planted out most of my winter brassicas. They're more than just green veg but a sign that this heat will eventually decline...

Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #72
Executive Chef

I started the garlic harvest yesterday, dug 116 bulbs that comprised the top most row of garlic. We rotate crops every year, and this year the garlic was planted at the bottom of our sloping garden. We have had much more rain this spring than we needed, and some of the garlic has rotted, but none in this top row. I have this garlic in the greenhouse curing. I planned to dig some more today, but we are getting a gentle rain. So I processed 10 heads of garlic to make dry granulated garlic. So with fresh garlic in the greenhouse and a dehydrator full of masticated garlic in the house, it is a bit aromatic here!

Just brought to the house 2 cabbages and one broccoli. Will process the 2# 11 ounce broccoli for the freezer, and a neighbor is stopping by for one cabbage. The other cabbage is for dinner.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #73
Head Chef

My garden is about 2 weeks behind the neighbors but it looks good and is healthy-beans, peas, tomatoes, tomatillas, peppers, basil, radishes, zuchinni and cucumbers. All mulched, not fenced yet (maybe not). I'm thinking of putting in some kale and lettuce yet, and we planted more beans and peas between plants so the season for harvesting will be longer.
I've got to get a picture of it, it's just so nice.
We made the garden bigger this year, added manure and soil, tilled it three times, planted seeds in the house, then transplanted them outdoors, planted seeds and as soon as they came up, we put cardboard and mulch around everything.
Claire, if you read this, if you by chance get a bumper crop of the poblanos, and can't put them up or you have all you want and you have a big box of extras--I'd love to have them in trade for something I have--like jam's pickles or homemade soap if you like any of those things. Just let me know.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #74
Master Chef

This is my first try at growing a few things. I'm growing in containers. My cherry tomatoes are doing great, their delicious. My roma tomatoes, not so good. I was able to pick one last week it was O.K. This morning I had 3 nice bright red romas on the vine/plant and 2 of them were split right down the side. Did I maybe leave them on the vine too long? Help!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
This is my first try at growing a few things. I'm growing in containers. My cherry tomatoes are doing great, their delicious. My roma tomatoes, not so good. I was able to pick one last week it was O.K. This morning I had 3 nice bright red romas on the vine/plant and 2 of them were split right down the side. Did I maybe leave them on the vine too long? Help!
Tomatoes will split if they get a HEAVY dose of water or rain. I see they are in containers, don't know anything about that, but if they were in the garden a heavy rain will cause them to split. Tomatoes do better with a steady watering, nothing drenching.

Actually, cabbages will do the same thing; split with too much rain.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #76
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Tomatoes will split if they get a HEAVY dose of water or rain. I see they are in containers, don't know anything about that, but if they were in the garden a heavy rain will cause them to split. Tomatoes do better with a steady watering, nothing drenching.

Actually, cabbages will do the same thing; split with too much rain.
You just hit the nail right on the head. We have had over 8 inches of rain in the last two days. They were fine a few days a go, but not quite ready to pick. Guess I just learned one of the downfalls of container gardening.
Thanks bethzaring!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #77
Head Chef

I just picked my 1st green bell pepper from the garden this morning!
My neighbors must have thought that I was crazy, sniffing this pepper like a cocaine fiend It just smelled so good, I couldn't help myself. The tomatoes are coming along fine, but won't be ripe for another week or so.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #78
Master Chef

We put our garden in a week before Memorial day, which is pretty late for southern Illinois, but there's no point in setting the plants out until the ground is warm and tillable.
The 5 tomatoes and 6 peppers are strawed and caged, and look great. There are a few tiny ones coming on...It will probably be the first of August before we get much.
I do also have sweet basil and Italian parsley. The basil is doing great. The parsley is bushy and healthy, but something (surely not our deer!) keeps it munched to the ground.

By the way, the deer may have gotten all my shorter lily buds, but they didn't get the Oriental Lilies, the ones that get 4-5 feet tall, and those lillies are blooming their heads off.
All that nibbling they've done on my Knock-out roses has just made the plants grow faster, and I think before long, the roses will be tall enough that the critters won't be able to reach the top.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #79
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My herb garden is so prolific that I am searching for new ways to use all the goodness!

just added a big handful of mixed herbs to my Niçoise Potato Salad. It won't know what hit it!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #80
Cook

I live in Southwest Colorado, and the soil is very dry and challenging! My basil has failed miserably, some pesky bug or slug has eaten away at the leaves. Tomatoes are finally flowering and growing quite tall. Snap peas have one foot in the grave! I suppose if I did not travel as much in the summer, and spent more time watering I would have greater success! It's so nice to read all of your success stories though!

Savory Tv is offline   Reply With Quote