"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #81
Head Chef

I just got a house, so the first thing I did was plant.....................wild garlic!

I found it growing along a highway, and sent my SO out to dig me up some. We planted it a few weeks ago and it is doing well. In another year or so I should have a great permanent garlic bed.

Wild garlic is so much more flavorful than domestic garlic!

This fall, I will plant apple, cherry, peach trees, grape vines, and a wild strawberry patch. Then I will establish my asparagus bed and perennial onion bed. If I have time/money, I will plant tulips and daffodils.

Next spring, I will start my rose, lavender, daisy, herb, and vegetable beds.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #82
Honey Badger

My Pit Area

Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #83
Assistant Cook

The strawberries did great. I didn't plant anything else this year as we were out of town. I'm going to test my theory about things growing into November, and will be putting some things into the ground this weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #84
Master Chef

In our area, the weather has been schitzo. Lots of rain and very cool, with a few days thrown in here and there with days so hot and humid you wouldn't want to go out. I've had, for emotional reasons, been a little on the downside, and when I look outside the thought of working at it seems overwhelming. I do know that getting out there, bad weather or not (well, not when it is pouring rain) would probably be good for me.

SO ... right now, my tomatoes are insanely out of control. Too much rain, not enough sunny, dry days. So much in the way of branches and greens that I'm having all I can do to get the maybe future tomatoes off the ground when they do (if they do) ever ripen. Peppers are a little easier. But nothing is going to turn green if this weather keeps up.

Oh, well.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Our Garden was downsized a bit this year...not as much variety. Just as well because the weather has not cooperated...HOT & DRY....100* days over and over...no rain. We struggled to keep things alive with watering...Peppers, are doing really well, and tomatoes are doing fair. Hoping the pickling cucumbers will crank up. We really want to make a big batch of Bread & Butter Pickles....

Yesterday's picking.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #86
Executive Chef

lovely UB....I so want ripe tomatoes.....maybe in a month or so....
Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #87
Honey Badger

Wow UB,
Great haul :)
My maters are still green,growing haywire out of control.I just wish they'd hurry up and get ripe already.
The corn I planted (I'm no farmer) is falling over.LOL...I didn't make the hills high enough.It's just a sight.A funny one at that :)

Munky.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #88
Head Chef

I harvested some green beans and cucumbers from the garden this week. Still waiting on my tomatos to ripen.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #89
Master Chef

my windowbox basil that was drooping is growing well now!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #90
Master Chef

Mine is driving me nutso. The weather has been strange. Very cool and very rainy. My tomato and pepper plants look like show plants, very very very green and lots of fruit. BUT I don't think it will ever dry out enough for them to get enough sunshine to ripen. I swear they look like house plants.