How's Your Garden Doin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow you guys have it going on all over the place! :)
It's been fun reading what everyone else has planted,what will eventually be a great season.Can't wait to see pictures *Hint- Hint* as all the gardens progress..
If my hound dawgy behaves himself I'll post some when everything gets put into place.

Munky.

I took these photos last week to help me keep track of the early potatoes.
The top of the garden shows the spinach, onions, brassicas and potatoes.
The lower garden photo shows the potatoes, or lack of potatoes:), carrots, the center of the garden that was empty last week but now contains the corn, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and basil, and at the bottom, the garlic.

Attachments

• DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF0035.jpg
    DSCF0035.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 191
The perenials in my herb garden are going great guns. The annuals are taking off, too, but not ready to contribute much to the pot. Most years I plant "early girls" tomatoes (2 or 3 plants) because, in fact, they do produce earlier than many. But I usually add an heirloom tomato, this year something called Wisconsin something. Last year it was Amish Paste tomatoes. Anyway, the tomatoes seem to be healthy and hearty, although it will be months before fruit appears. I also grow two kinds of peppers, poblanos to make my cousin's New Mexico Green Chili (husband roasts, peels and seeds them), and super Cayennes (larger than regular cayennes, and maybe a bit milder, but y'all are gardeners, you know that the heat of a pepper is very unpredicatable). Those I dry and grind.

the tomatoes and peppers will not bear fruit for another month or two.

On the other hand, I planted frost-hardy greens (mustard, chard and spinach) and that is starting to come in. I need to plant lettuce soon.

Umm....it's not. I'm taking a break this season. Instead, we've decided to try chickens....my husband just finished the coop this weekend! I've heard that the "poo" makes great fertilizer...here's hoping for next season!!!

If our gardens were not in raised beds, they'd be a goner. We have had almost 17 inches of rain. Living on a hill is great in this case. We need to grow heirloom tomatoes too. Our gd bought two yesterday for $8.38.

here is my garden---easy peasy and along with a CSA subscription should keep us supplied with fresh goodies

Attachments

• DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 201
Strawberries are ripening nicely. Trimming back on the grape vines to expose grape clusters to the sun. Some of the rhubarb has bolted to flower stage. All the cooking herbs seem fine ( chives, parsely, celantro, basil genovase, greek oregano, 3 types of rosemary and sage) Spearmint and peppermint are doing their thing so I run the mower into them so they don't take over the lawn. Companion planted tomatoes and basil this year. Read somewhere that the food which goes well together are plants that do well together. So I'll see how true that is for my soil etc. Trying a white eggplant and this time it is chicken wire to stop the squirrels who bite the fruit. I'll put the potted plants out for the summer soon that includes the bannana tree a lemon tree and a bay laurel. Chicago hardy fig tree is little but survived its first winter and has doubled its size. LOL now it is 1 foot high.

Licia, when I lived in Florida, I grew almost exclusively in raised beds. Most parts of Florida have almost sand as the soil, the water will leach almost everything from the plants and the plants themselves will float away. Where I lived, the soil wasn't very rich (almost sand), so I built raised beds and filled them once a year with some kind of soil so that everything didn't get washed away. People who haven't gardened in Florida (ditto Hawaii) don't understand that year-round warmth has its pitfalls in vegetable gardening.

All the jalapeno peppers are doing poorly.I planted them into the pit.But kept them in their original peat pots.Water fertilized.They have not grown any new leaves or grown any taller.I'm suspecting the wind and cold nights have stunted them.I just placed a long clear plastic sheet over the entire row, left enough openings to vent.Hopefully that might do the trick.

Munky.

basil has bolted, i think, lots of flowers. anyone know if eatable. tomatoes coming up as they should. gonna plant a different type soon as seeds arrive. not sure what is going on with eggplant and squash. some of the leaves are yellow. i pinch em off. too much water maybe. spinach is almost out. green onions are taking forever. i am not a patient person so want more results faster. you don't get that from veggies.

babe, I take a pair of scissors to the garden and cut off those basil flower spikes, wait a week and then harvest the regrowth, mine always go to flower, I can't keep up with my basil..

here are two pics I took today, the poor garlic at the bottom of the garden is drowning, way too much rain here..

Attachments

• DSCF0074.jpg
    DSCF0074.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF0081.jpg
    DSCF0081.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 171
Wow Beth!
I envy your garden space!! Only herbs are ready to harvest here, small green tomatoes are on my early plants, just finished planting my late tomatoes. Have blossoms on my squash, cucumbers and egg plant. My bush beans are looking good, but are not producing yet.

Nice garden Beth..It's so neat and tidy.
Casper could use that fence :)
I'm just sayin'.Don't taze me bro! LOL!!!

Munky.

Wow Beth!
I envy your garden space!! Only herbs are ready to harvest here, small green tomatoes are on my early plants, just finished planting my late tomatoes. Have blossoms on my squash, cucumbers and egg plant. My bush beans are looking good, but are not producing yet.

pretty much what mine are doing. just had a serving of carrots from container garden last night. have gotta some tomatoes that were ripe and tons more of several kinds that are green
no beans though. :ohmy:

babe, I take a pair of scissors to the garden and cut off those basil flower spikes, wait a week and then harvest the regrowth, mine always go to flower, I can't keep up with my basil..

here are two pics I took today, the poor garlic at the bottom of the garden is drowning, way too much rain here..

will do, what u suggest. my garlic not doing well, don't know why. :(

Nice garden Beth..It's so neat and tidy.
Casper could use that fence :)
I'm just sayin'.Don't taze me bro! LOL!!!

Munky.

That's okay, I'm jealous looking at Beth's garden also. And the fence wouldn't help, the monkey like creatures I have around here would either climb it, or dig under it.

I did put 6 tomato plants in pots, and put them on top of a cord of wood the gets sun all day long. We'll see how they do this year. So far, just flowers on the "early girls", the Beef steaks are just relaxing :)

When they get going though, I should have matter's coming out of my ears since I'll be the only consumer except for the ones I pawn off on others.

My current issue is the three each of squirrels, and raccoons that won't stay off my bird feeder. Those and the deer feel my bird feeder is their personal feeding troff. They've broken the squirrel guard three times so far. Next steep is to get some sheet metal and she how easy it is for them to tear that up. The squirrels are shy, so a noise or two and they're gone. As for the raccoon and deer, I have a pump up BB gun. I haven't pumped it up too much yet so it only hurts a little, but their not yet getting the message.

Big Sigh... I'm limited to putting only a couple of cups a food in the feeder during the day in hopes the birds eat it before the other critters do. The birds do appreciate it though. I have up to 10 ~ 12 birds at a time at the feeder, or on the ground underneath.

Bob

"Monkey like creatures" HAHAAA! :)
I did some checking, Googled "Things squirrels don't like" The one thing I keep reading is how much they don't like Cayenne Pepper/Capsaicin.You would have to be diligent and spray often.
I read vaseline on the pole might work.I think that idea was meant as a joke.Can you picture a Squirrel trying to get up a pole over and over,sliding down.Weird but I can picture that.:LOL:
But anyways,what the squirrels want from that feeder is the millet.It's loaded with a lot of vitamins,and proteins.What you could also do is measure out how much food is going into each feeder.Mix in a liberal amount of Cayenne Pepper.Refill them.You won't hurt the birds at all.

Here's a few links that have more info
Those squirrels! - Keeping squirrels out of your birdfeeders
Homemade Squirrel Repellent Spray Recipes For Your Garden | ALL THINGS SQUIRREL REPELLENT
Squirrel Repellent

Munky.

Thanks Munky - I might try a couple of the mentioned actions (especially like the Vaseline one as they make me feel like this) :bash::bash:. It would be funny to watch both the squirrels and the raccoons slowly sliding back down to the ground :innocent:

Bob

Back
Top Bottom