"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Honey Badger

How's Your Garden Doin'?

Mine's been so so,I've planted along borders.Took over my kids old playground,and have a huge plot to work with.Everything but the corn and green onions are doing what they should be doing, growing.

Started from seeds and hardening them off was a challenge.They will soon get the final move to the ground in about a week.
Wouldn't you know it,when I thought my Roma's from seeds wouldn't make it they did,after I cheated and bought Early Girls..Go figure.I think they're messing with me :)

The garden is...
Maters
Corn,Early and Late
Cucumbers
Squash
Green Beans,
Jalapeno's
Habanero's
Yellow Bell Peppers
Red Bell's
Banana Peppers
Green Onions
Potatoes
some Lettuce,Broccoli
Garlic
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
That about does it.

Munky.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Wow, great kitchen garden! I just have the fruit trees this year and a large plot of what I like to call "native plants", AKA weeds.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Wow, great kitchen garden! I just have the fruit trees this year and a large plot of what I like to call "native plants", AKA weeds.
What kind of fruit trees are you growing?
I wouldn't mind a few fruit trees in my back yard..It's just finding the right type for this part of Cali.I'm always undecided.

Munky.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Parsley,2 oregano,tarragon, marjoram,rosemary,basil,dill,thyme,3 peach trees,2 apple, one fujii and one gala,a nectarine,orange,tangerine, a combo nectrine and white peach, one apricot,10 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers,2 watermelon,onions,2 eggplant,2 red bells, 1 long green Italian, and 2 rows of lettuce.
kadesma
Old 05-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Mine's been so so,I've planted along borders.Took over my kids old playground,and have a huge plot to work with.Everything but the corn and green onions are doing what they should be doing, growing.

Started from seeds and hardening them off was a challenge.They will soon get the final move to the ground in about a week.
Wouldn't you know it,when I thought my Roma's from seeds wouldn't make it they did,after I cheated and bought Early Girls..Go figure.I think they're messing with me :)

The garden is...
Maters
Corn,Early and Late
Cucumbers
Squash
Green Beans,
Jalapeno's
Habanero's
Yellow Bell Peppers
Red Bell's
Banana Peppers
Green Onions
Potatoes
some Lettuce,Broccoli
Garlic
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
That about does it.

Munky.
Munky - How YOU doin'.... seriously, I wish I had the stamina to keep the local critters from a garden. Even took a couple of pictures today (crappy ones) of a new born fawn left to hide on its on i the yard while cutting grass today. Missed it by about 3'.

What the heck, here's a poor picture form my cell camera (cheap) but I can't blame it for the quality anymore than the photographer.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1243116928 (pops) And no, it won't be too tender a deer. I hunt/fish, but I don't in my own yard.

So if you'd like to adopt me, I'll bring the meat if you bring the garden :-)

Casper (Bob)
Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Munky - How YOU doin'.... seriously, I wish I had the stamina to keep the local critters from a garden. Even took a couple of pictures today (crappy ones) of a new born fawn left to hide on its on i the yard while cutting grass today. Missed it by about 3'.

What the heck, here's a poor picture form my cell camera (cheap) but I can't blame it for the quality anymore than the photographer.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1243116928 (pops) And no, it won't be too tender a deer. I hunt/fish, but I don't in my own yard.

So if you'd like to adopt me, I'll bring the meat if you bring the garden :-)

Casper (Bob)
That's a great picture of the fawn.Good save! :)
My cell phone is 10 yrs old,it doesn't even take pictures or does all that texting.
Our only critter problem at the time is my golden retriever..He's a vegetarian.I had to build a make shift fence to keep him out,set penny cans out as traps he never liked those.So far he's not in the exploring mood.

Munky.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Parsley,2 oregano,tarragon, marjoram,rosemary,basil,dill,thyme,3 peach trees,2 apple, one fujii and one gala,a nectarine,orange,tangerine, a combo nectrine and white peach, one apricot,10 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers,2 watermelon,onions,2 eggplant,2 red bells, 1 long green Italian, and 2 rows of lettuce.
kadesma
I envy you. If I had the choice choosing between growing fruit or veggies.I'd choose the trees..

Munky.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

well (luvs humbled).....
my basil is drooping & my scallion onions were purchased today.
for my indoor windowbox.
cept, i'm a city-girl.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

every thing in my veggies in pots is doing well. lettuce is ready, spinach almost. lots of green tomatoes on the three plants. squash and egg plant have blossoms. green onions are up, and carrots are getting big. i have harvested . the basil. garlic not ready. can't wait to start eating some of this.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
That's a great picture of the fawn.Good save! :)
My cell phone is 10 yrs old,it doesn't even take pictures or does all that texting.
Our only critter problem at the time is my golden retriever..He's a vegetarian.I had to build a make shift fence to keep him out,set penny cans out as traps he never liked those.So far he's not in the exploring mood.

Munky.

The reason why I said I'd bring the meat is that I gave up on gardening. I have around 20 or so deer in the yard at multiple times a day, hawks, owls, ground hogs, raccoon, rabbit, moles, even the occasional flock of turkeys nad a fox or two, etc.

The season that I did all the precautionary things, fencing buried, powdered red pepper on the fruits, etc., I had what I assume was a raccoon take a single bite overnight out of each and every single tomato fruit I was growing... 8 plants, maybe 60 fruit at the time just shortly before turning red. That ended my gardening here. Now I do a couple of potted tomato plants sitting on top of a cord of firewood, but growing other things at the moment are not something I want to stress on yet :-)

That was evil... "one" bite out of each fruit? That was someone giving me a sign.

Wished I could have had better pictures for you. Those type pictures don't come every day. Love living in the country.

Regards,

Bob