Hubbard squash, has anyone ever cooked one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
In addition to cooking, Im an avid gardener.
If If I haven't grown it, I want to grow it. And if I don't grow it, its either because I don't know about it, or Ive grown it and don't like it.

I love trying new things. Im a sucker when I go to a garden nursery and see something that Ive never tried before. Thats where the hubbard squash comes in. I was just about to hit the register, when I saw these 2 baby hubbard squash plants staring at me. I knew I had not even and inch to spare in the garden ( I have a raised bed, so space is very precise and accounted for), but i couldn't resist.

So now, along with my creativity, I found a way to grow them without taking over the garden. They seem to be doing very well, and I now I have a squash about the size of my head ( and my head is rather large). The thing is still growing, but Id love to know what it compares to, so I know what to do with it when it is pickable.

Attachments

• Squash 1.jpg
    Squash 1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Squash 2.jpg
    Squash 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 147
They're big and ugly with a yellow-orange flesh. I'd treat them like a pumpkin or butternut squash.

We used to cut them into large chunks with an ax, scoop out the seeds and put the unpeeled chunks into a big roaster to bake until the orange flesh was soft when pierced with a knife. They make a great "pumpkin" pie or just mash the flesh and serve with salt, pepper and butter. The pulp can be frozen in meal or pie size containers.

They get pretty heavy so the squash in the picture may pick itself. You could provide some support to it with a sling made out of an old pair of pantyhose or a net onion bag.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You can cook the halved squash in the microwave for a while, to soften it before proceeding with a recipe. It's faster, takes less energy and doesn't heat up the kitchen as much as baking it.

Back
Top Bottom