I need nitrogen, quick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Tested the soil in my gardens, NO nitrogen. :ohmy:
Aside from a few good lighnting storms and the puny amount of coffee grounds I generate every day, how can I add some, quickly and cheaply?
I'm hoping to plant today and tomorrow, between rain showers.

Pour a couple of pints of Guinness in there? :ohmy:
(Probably won't work, but it is carbonated with a Nitrogen/CO2 mix).

Hi Suzie, I don't know how big your garden is, so I may be shooting in the dark. Most plant foods have a bunch of Nitrogen in them. Go to a garden store and get a bag of fertilizer. Work it into the soil. Unless your garden is huge it shoulden't be too expensive.

If it is somewhat small look into miraclke grow.

HTH

AC

I have 2 actually, plus 2 big flower beds. total veggie space I guess 25' x25'? I'm not good at guessing.
I bought some Miracle grow to put in the flower bed, But I think I may have to just go buy some blood meal at home depot.... i looked at bone meal but I have an abundance of phosphorus already, dont want to add that with it.

You should be able to thing out ammonia based cleaning solution and pour it on. Just get it pretty thin, you don't want to burn the plants or seeds.

Glad you asked, suzie. When you go to the home center, p/u manure. They sell the "non-sinky" kind now adays.
After that, just keept putting your grass clipping on. This will keep your weed down too, as long as the grass doesn't have weed seed in it.

Good luck.

I did put a 40 lb bag in each flower bed. barely got it everywhere. I think I'd need about 20 bags, at 1.50 each...... can't right now.

The best fertilizer you can get is natural composted vegetation with added manure, or equally good, redworm casings. But if you can't get these, then purchase slow release fertiizers. It has been found that fertilizers that release their nitrogen compounds and other nutrients slowly, allow the plants to grow more slowly, giving them time to absorb nutrients from the soil, and the fruits or veggies that grow on them to gather create the beneficial compounds, such as vitamins, minerals, and phyto compounds in greater concentration, than when quick release fertilizers are used. By using organic fertilizers such as manure and worm casings, you produce is healthier for you.

For a long time, I believed that fertilizer was fertilizer, except that most comercial varieties contain nitrogen rich salts that will over salinate soil over time, making it unusable in the long run.

It turns out that organic foods are healthier after all. Now, I just have to convince my eldest son about that. he sees no value in using organic products and believes that it just makes things more expensive.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Also, don't plant in the same place next year if you can help it. Pick out a new site and plant legumes there now.
When they die back, work that stuff into the soil and provide you nitrogen. If you have to use the same area next year,rotate your crop.
Next year, where you have veggies this year, plant legumes.
Rotate.
Also, as your plants die back this year, take that dead plant and put it in your mulch pile. It will breakdown and be the best organic fertilizer.

Also, look here: UncleJim'sWormFarm

Good luck and enjoy. There's nothing like the reward of eating your own stuff!

Last edited:
Suzi, to add nitrogen to your soil you need to add organic content. So, compost or manure would be the thing to add. It doesn't need to be a lot, but you need to take into account what you are planning on growing. Some crops need more than others. There are some crops that ADD nitrogen to the soil so what you might consider is putting compost on one section of your garden and a smaller layer of compost on the other side and planting something like potatoes or nasturtiums on the less fertilized spot. Next year, rotate the spots as the potatoes will have added some nitrogen to your soil.

here's my thought....
I know nitrogen is needed for happy greens..... (leaves)
maybe I would be alright just adding for now where my herbs are planted....
My tomatoes, peppers etc have done just fine, just need a bit of calcium.
Keep in mind these are 3 yr old or less veggie beds, and I have been rotating.
I do have a few gardening books I can read, I just get so overwhelmed with info I shut down.

Live near a stable? Horse poop is excellent, and they will be happy to give you a bunch.

get your DH to pee in the watering can, dilute 1:10 and use this.
Never use Female urine though, it contains hormones that are mutagenic to plants.

then go to a garden shop and get some Growmore (NPK) or nitrochalk.

Herbs generally are happy in a lean soil--too much nitrogen makes them grow too fast, and they get weak and floppy.

I go organic as much as I can, but adding nitrogen organically can take a while. If you want your plants to grow this year, buy a sack of 10-10-10.

Add sacks of manure, put all your veggie waste right back into the garden, mulch with shredded leaves, straw or even shredded paper--all that will help add organic material.

If you get manure (most stables are glad to give it away rather than pay for disposal) make sure you let it compost down a good 6 months before you use it on your garden, it`s no good at all used "fresh".

Back
Top Bottom