"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #41
Assistant Cook
I have been thinking more of Spring because the weather here has been so mild. We haven't had a lot of snow (with the exception of the October storm).

MrsBlueEyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you are going to try to grow herbs from cuttings, it will improve your chance of success if you buy some rooting hormone. I got some that was organic. I don't know if you have to be careful about what kind you get when it's for food.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #43
Senior Cook
Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Far as I know, Taxlady, all rooting hormones are food-safe. The only concern would be for gardeners who are hard-nosed about organic growing. And, of course, for any grower who is certified.

I use rooting hormone a lot. But, frankly, I'm not convinced it's as important as some make out. I've started cuttings side-by-side with and without it, and never noticed a significant increase in success with it.

So why do I use it? As with many gardening techniques, if it might help, and doesn't hurt, I figure why not do it? And even a small jar of rooting hormone goes a long, long way.
Most people spoil garden things by over-boiling them... if they are overboiled they have neither any sweetness or beauty. Hannah Glasse 1745
HistoricFoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #44
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
This has been a very interesting thread. I'd like some advice on a rosemary plant in my yard, please. I'm in SW FL, with temperate but distinct rainy and dry seasons. I have a rosemary in a dry location - it's about 2 feet high. I moved it a few months ago and it lost nearly all its leaves/needles but has now recovered and the tops are greening up again, even showing a few flowers. But the lower stems are still naked. Should I cut it back close to the ground and let it regrow from there or is that too drastic?
We're on the other side and have a rosemary that has been growing like a weed for about 5 years. It hase been cut back several times and just keeps growing.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #45
Head Chef
Thanks for the rosemary tips, all. I think after she stops blooming I'll pick a couple of the worst offenders, bare-stem-wise, and cut them way back, then watch what happens.

Thanks to this informative thread, I'm feeling encouraged about trying basil again. I had some cinnamon basil (don't know the actual variety name) once upon a time. I don't cook with basil, but I loved to brush by the plant just for the fragrance. Same with the rosemary, really. I don't use it in the kitchen -- the home-grown seems so strong -- but I enjoy the brush-by effect.
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Trim the Rosemary stems back and then cut into 2 inch chunks, wrap in cheesecloth and hang in your closet...
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
Head Chef
I am going to plant some herbs in these canisters for my kitchen window. I will keep the four small canisters on the window sill and hang the three larger canisters.

I do have a permanent outside herb garden, but I want to have summer savory, sweet marjoram, rosemary, small bay tree, cilantro, parsley, and basil inside.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #48
Assistant Cook
I like those canisters :) I think I am going to grow cilantro and basil..I have not decided what else yet. I have a little bit of time to decide at least.
MrsBlueEyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #49
Assistant Cook
I've got some basil seeds and wondering how best to get them to grow into a big plant and where to put them, outside or indoors ? Also what's the best soil, I've recently thought growing my own would be the best so need to know how best to go about it :)
cusinefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
Head Chef
You can probably find the answers to your questions back at the beginning of this thread. If not, your local county extension office is a good place to get info on growing basil in your particular area.

Can any of you southern-fried DCers give me hints on growing ginger root in our southern Florida climate? I do put leftover pieces in the freezer, but that's not entirely satisfactory and I would like to have fresh ginger without a trip to the store. Maybe I should ask my local county extension office.....

No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote