Ideas on growing herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been thinking more of Spring because the weather here has been so mild. We haven't had a lot of snow (with the exception of the October storm).

If you are going to try to grow herbs from cuttings, it will improve your chance of success if you buy some rooting hormone. I got some that was organic. I don't know if you have to be careful about what kind you get when it's for food.

Far as I know, Taxlady, all rooting hormones are food-safe. The only concern would be for gardeners who are hard-nosed about organic growing. And, of course, for any grower who is certified.

I use rooting hormone a lot. But, frankly, I'm not convinced it's as important as some make out. I've started cuttings side-by-side with and without it, and never noticed a significant increase in success with it.

So why do I use it? As with many gardening techniques, if it might help, and doesn't hurt, I figure why not do it? And even a small jar of rooting hormone goes a long, long way.

This has been a very interesting thread. I'd like some advice on a rosemary plant in my yard, please. I'm in SW FL, with temperate but distinct rainy and dry seasons. I have a rosemary in a dry location - it's about 2 feet high. I moved it a few months ago and it lost nearly all its leaves/needles but has now recovered and the tops are greening up again, even showing a few flowers. But the lower stems are still naked. Should I cut it back close to the ground and let it regrow from there or is that too drastic?

We're on the other side and have a rosemary that has been growing like a weed for about 5 years. It hase been cut back several times and just keeps growing.

Thanks for the rosemary tips, all. I think after she stops blooming I'll pick a couple of the worst offenders, bare-stem-wise, and cut them way back, then watch what happens.

Thanks to this informative thread, I'm feeling encouraged about trying basil again. I had some cinnamon basil (don't know the actual variety name) once upon a time. I don't cook with basil, but I loved to brush by the plant just for the fragrance. Same with the rosemary, really. I don't use it in the kitchen -- the home-grown seems so strong -- but I enjoy the brush-by effect.

I am going to plant some herbs in these canisters for my kitchen window. I will keep the four small canisters on the window sill and hang the three larger canisters.

img_1116814_0_63eaee1f64c8bba47e15a3051111352d.jpg

I do have a permanent outside herb garden, but I want to have summer savory, sweet marjoram, rosemary, small bay tree, cilantro, parsley, and basil inside.

I like those canisters :) I think I am going to grow cilantro and basil..I have not decided what else yet. I have a little bit of time to decide at least.

I've got some basil seeds and wondering how best to get them to grow into a big plant and where to put them, outside or indoors ? Also what's the best soil, I've recently thought growing my own would be the best so need to know how best to go about it :)

You can probably find the answers to your questions back at the beginning of this thread. If not, your local county extension office is a good place to get info on growing basil in your particular area.

Can any of you southern-fried DCers give me hints on growing ginger root in our southern Florida climate? I do put leftover pieces in the freezer, but that's not entirely satisfactory and I would like to have fresh ginger without a trip to the store. :ermm: Maybe I should ask my local county extension office..... :D

I forgot to report that Ms. Rosemary has filled back out and is looking good. And I don't think she'll miss the few stems I brought inside.

Happy St Paddy's Day weekend. This is the time of year to plant seeds under grow lights in our neck of the woods. Counting on my fingers, there are roughly 8 weeks until May 15 when we are anticipated as frost free and it is safe to transplant to the garden, which is just enough time for seedlings to be big enough to transplant. I have a grow light set up on my shop bench in the basement. The cats think whatever sprouts is grown for them to Eat. They get to the seedlings even when I built a fortification of water filled milk cartons surrounding my trays. I'll just wait (impatiently) until the green houses and farmer's markets open this spring and plant seedlings directly in the garden. Then the girls can chase the rabbits and squirrels out of the garden. :ROFLMAO:

Many a house plant has been loved 'to death.' Overwatring. Stick your index finger into the soil down to the first knuckle. If the soil feels damp, it does not need watering. Dry, water it until the water starts to come out of the bottom.

Keep in mind that Rosemary is very invasive. When planted in the same pot with another plant of a different species, it will take over the space with its roots and kill your other plants in the pot. Rosemary should be planted alone, in a pot.

When you get a 2" potted plant home, let it sit for a couple of days to adjust to its new climate. Check to see if it needs watering. After a couple of days, transfer the plant to a 4" pot. Planting it in a bigger pot, will allow it to grow more roots and nothing on the top. Gently knock off the soil from the 2" pot and place in a new pot with all new soil.

To keep your herb plants producing those tasty leaves, when you see a flower developing at the top, pinch it off. The plant is getting ready to reporduce and then die.

Some plants do very well in shade, others with full light. Google the type of plant and see what growing conditions are best for that plant. If you are going to plant your seedlinigs in one pot, make sure they all require the same growing conditions.

Make sure you have a catch tray under your pots to catch extra water that comes out of the bottom. Empty the tray. Do not allow the pot to sit in the water.

This is all I can think of right now. Good luck. :chef:

Last edited:
I have a large container that I want to plant Lavender in............what other herbs would compliment the Lavender Herb.............?????????
Thanks for any and all suggestions
How about mint -- or will it change the Lavender taste ???

lyndaW said:
I have a large container that I want to plant Lavender in............what other herbs would compliment the Lavender Herb.............?????????

Mint is a fast spreader and grower, and might work better in its own pot, as it would crowd out just about anything else. Same with lemon balm. A thought, maybe give mint its own pot within the big container. Keep the rim above the container soil.

Maybe some drapy thyme, sage, rosemary, nasturtiums. Perhaps a little herbs de Provence garden (savory, fennel, basil, thyme, rosemary, lavender, there are different mixtures).

Last edited:

As stated in a previous post, mint is very invasive. As is Rosemary. They each deserve and need their own pots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom