"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Ideas on growing herbs

I have thought of doing this for a long time, and am now researching how to grow herbs. It would have to be indoors. Anyone have any suggestions? There are so many options. I know I could try to grow them from seed, from a product line that sells them...then that gets into if I want to just buy something like Chia which has an herb garden or something similar. I don't know how well Chia would be though or any others like that for that matter.
Any suggestions on what I should do are welcome.
Some of the herbs/spices I have thought of include basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You listed herbs. Herbs are generally easy to grow. Growing them indoors may be an issue because of space needed to grow adequate quantities. Some grow herbs in pots outdoors.

In general, spices are harder to deal with. Many grow in tropical climates and require more special attention. e.g. black pepper is grown tropically and must ge cured/aged before packaging.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Oops..yeah I hadn't added any spices to my list.

I have to grow them indoors because we live in a condo and can't have anything outside.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBlueEyzz
I have thought of doing this for a long time, and am now researching how to grow spices. It would have to be indoors. Anyone have any suggestions? There are so many options. I know I could try to grow them from seed, from a product line that sells them...then that gets into if I want to just buy something like Chia which has an herb garden or something similar. I don't know how well Chia would be though or any others like that for that matter.
Any suggestions on what I should do are welcome.
Some of the herbs/spices I have thought of include basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc.
Herbs like thyme and rosemary are hard to start from seed, so best to buy plants. You can get little plant starters of the others with seeds and soil all ready for you to just add water at the Dollar Store or Walmart. Might be cheaper than the Chia starter, though that would work too. Or just buy seeds and potting soil and do it yourself. That would be really cheap, though you would have a lot of leftover seeds. You might want to consider a little grow light, unless you have a good sunny window.

I grow all mine outside, but dug up and brought in my rosemary, some thyme, basil, and parsley. While not exactly as lush as they would be outside, they provide me with fresh stuff.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I wait until spring and get herbs in starter pots (2" pots). As soon as I get home I repot them in 4" pots. I always have pots and soil on hand. Basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, are all easy to grow.

You can find these in any store with a garden center in the spring, even in many grocery stores in the produce department.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Head Chef

Basil is easy to grow. There are several varieties with quite different flavors to try. I suggest beginning by buying sets in 3 or 4-inch pots at the nursery. Transplant to larger pots with good soil.

Oregano also offers some different varieties. Same situation as above, but a lot of them grow close to the ground, more like miniature vines or ground cover.

Thyme, sage, cilantro, and parsley are equally easy. (Grow Italian parsley, not the curly kind.)

A window garden can work well. That's some shelves or a shelf unit in a sunny window. They can also do well as hanging baskets on a porch or balcony. There are some things that are perennials and can become permanent potted plants or shrubs. Rosemary can get to be a three foot tall shrub. Tonight, I'm having arugula, much better than other lettuce, that came up from being randomly seeded by last years plants in the herb garden. Many herbs thrive on abuse. After they're started well, they don't need much care but water. Fertilizer can sometimes just make them get leggy with less flavor.

You might want to search on self-watering planters. That lets you go away for days without watering, or just forget and not have the plants die. But herbs do need plenty of light, so the window has to be truly sunny. But if you have that, you can have fresh herbs at hand every day. And there's nothing better.

The reason I suggest beginning with sets, is that starting from seed is a whole additional skill set.

You can also pick up some lemon grass in the produce section and root it in water and them plant it. If you price it, you'll see it work doing if you use it much.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank you for all the suggestions. This is definitely helping me decide what to do :)
Old 02-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I wait until spring and get herbs in starter pots (2" pots). As soon as I get home I repot them in 4" pots. I always have pots and soil on hand. Basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, are all easy to grow.

You can find these in any store with a garden center in the spring, even in many grocery stores in the produce department.
I was wondering if a certain time of year would be better to start this project. The main reason I want to do this is so that I have fresh herbs year round. I find it so disconcerting when I am cooking and run out of a spice or herb I am looking for. Running out to the grocery store is not always an option when I am in the middle of cooking hee hee
Or worse yet, there aren't any fresh ones at the grocery store. Sometimes I wonder if they ship them from far away as they don't seem to have as much flavor either.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Where do you live? What is your climate like?

Would you be able to have a window box?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBlueEyzz View Post

I have to grow them indoors because we live in a condo and can't have anything outside.
We have an herb garden out front, however her vegetable garden is elsewhere. You may want to look to see if your town has a city garden program. Ours does and she has a 10x15 garden nearby on city property. It is fenced and locked and they provide water.

This might be a solution for you as well.

Tags
spices