Ideas on growing herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBlueEyzz

Assistant Cook
I have thought of doing this for a long time, and am now researching how to grow herbs. It would have to be indoors. Anyone have any suggestions? There are so many options. I know I could try to grow them from seed, from a product line that sells them...then that gets into if I want to just buy something like Chia which has an herb garden or something similar. I don't know how well Chia would be though or any others like that for that matter.
Any suggestions on what I should do are welcome.
Some of the herbs/spices I have thought of include basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc.

Last edited:
You listed herbs. Herbs are generally easy to grow. Growing them indoors may be an issue because of space needed to grow adequate quantities. Some grow herbs in pots outdoors.

In general, spices are harder to deal with. Many grow in tropical climates and require more special attention. e.g. black pepper is grown tropically and must ge cured/aged before packaging.

Oops..yeah I hadn't added any spices to my list.

I have to grow them indoors because we live in a condo and can't have anything outside.

MrsBlueEyzz said:
I have thought of doing this for a long time, and am now researching how to grow spices. It would have to be indoors. Anyone have any suggestions? There are so many options. I know I could try to grow them from seed, from a product line that sells them...then that gets into if I want to just buy something like Chia which has an herb garden or something similar. I don't know how well Chia would be though or any others like that for that matter.
Any suggestions on what I should do are welcome.
Some of the herbs/spices I have thought of include basil, cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc.

Herbs like thyme and rosemary are hard to start from seed, so best to buy plants. You can get little plant starters of the others with seeds and soil all ready for you to just add water at the Dollar Store or Walmart. Might be cheaper than the Chia starter, though that would work too. Or just buy seeds and potting soil and do it yourself. That would be really cheap, though you would have a lot of leftover seeds. You might want to consider a little grow light, unless you have a good sunny window.

I grow all mine outside, but dug up and brought in my rosemary, some thyme, basil, and parsley. While not exactly as lush as they would be outside, they provide me with fresh stuff.

Last edited:
I wait until spring and get herbs in starter pots (2" pots). As soon as I get home I repot them in 4" pots. I always have pots and soil on hand. Basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, are all easy to grow.

You can find these in any store with a garden center in the spring, even in many grocery stores in the produce department.

Basil is easy to grow. There are several varieties with quite different flavors to try. I suggest beginning by buying sets in 3 or 4-inch pots at the nursery. Transplant to larger pots with good soil.

Oregano also offers some different varieties. Same situation as above, but a lot of them grow close to the ground, more like miniature vines or ground cover.

Thyme, sage, cilantro, and parsley are equally easy. (Grow Italian parsley, not the curly kind.)

A window garden can work well. That's some shelves or a shelf unit in a sunny window. They can also do well as hanging baskets on a porch or balcony. There are some things that are perennials and can become permanent potted plants or shrubs. Rosemary can get to be a three foot tall shrub. Tonight, I'm having arugula, much better than other lettuce, that came up from being randomly seeded by last years plants in the herb garden. Many herbs thrive on abuse. After they're started well, they don't need much care but water. Fertilizer can sometimes just make them get leggy with less flavor.

You might want to search on self-watering planters. That lets you go away for days without watering, or just forget and not have the plants die. But herbs do need plenty of light, so the window has to be truly sunny. But if you have that, you can have fresh herbs at hand every day. And there's nothing better.

The reason I suggest beginning with sets, is that starting from seed is a whole additional skill set.

You can also pick up some lemon grass in the produce section and root it in water and them plant it. If you price it, you'll see it work doing if you use it much.

Thank you for all the suggestions. This is definitely helping me decide what to do :)

I wait until spring and get herbs in starter pots (2" pots). As soon as I get home I repot them in 4" pots. I always have pots and soil on hand. Basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, are all easy to grow.

You can find these in any store with a garden center in the spring, even in many grocery stores in the produce department.

I was wondering if a certain time of year would be better to start this project. The main reason I want to do this is so that I have fresh herbs year round. I find it so disconcerting when I am cooking and run out of a spice or herb I am looking for. Running out to the grocery store is not always an option when I am in the middle of cooking hee hee
Or worse yet, there aren't any fresh ones at the grocery store. Sometimes I wonder if they ship them from far away as they don't seem to have as much flavor either.

I have to grow them indoors because we live in a condo and can't have anything outside.

We have an herb garden out front, however her vegetable garden is elsewhere. You may want to look to see if your town has a city garden program. Ours does and she has a 10x15 garden nearby on city property. It is fenced and locked and they provide water.

This might be a solution for you as well.

Well, if you're going to grow indoors, you can start as soon as the sets are available. And that depends on where you are. Here in Central Texas, the stores just put out the herb and vegetable sets.

I can but fresh in the grocery, just about all the common herbs. The whole hydroponically grown plant in a plastic sleeve with some water in the bottom. The taste is okay. (Maybe not as strong, because their lives are too easy.) But they're kind of expensive, $2.50 to $3.00. I can by a nursery set for $1.50 or less and grow it into four or five times the plant they're selling in the produce section in short order. And I don't waste any excess.

Where do you live? What is your climate like?

Would you be able to have a window box?

I live in Connecticut. It may be a little early to try to plant anything. I could probably move things outside during the summer, but if they are survive the winter they will be indoor plants for sure :)

We have an herb garden out front, however her vegetable garden is elsewhere. You may want to look to see if your town has a city garden program. Ours does and she has a 10x15 garden nearby on city property. It is fenced and locked and they provide water.

This might be a solution for you as well.

Thanks for this suggestion. It will be something to look in to as well :)

Well, if you're going to grow indoors, you can start as soon as the sets are available. And that depends on where you are. Here in Central Texas, the stores just put out the herb and vegetable sets.

I can but fresh in the grocery, just about all the common herbs. The whole hydroponically grown plant in a plastic sleeve with some water in the bottom. The taste is okay. (Maybe not as strong, because their lives are too easy.) But they're kind of expensive, $2.50 to $3.00. I can by a nursery set for $1.50 or less and grow it into four or five times the plant they're selling in the produce section in short order. And I don't waste any excess.

That is another consideration-how well they will taste. I want something that is just as strong if I am to put forth all this effort :)

MrsBlueEyzz said:
That is another consideration-how well they will taste. I want something that is just as strong if I am to put forth all this effort :)

If you are buying plants, smell them and taste a leaf or rub a leaf between your fingers and take a whiff. Just don't be too obvious.

When growing indoors, the issue is light. If you have a bright window or patio door, that would do. Otherwise you'll have to use artifcial light.

The biggest error people make with herbs is overwatering them. That's one reason the grocery pots have such little flavor. You want the soil (which, btw, should not be rich; just the opposite) to actually dry out before adding moisture. And there is almost no need for fertilizer.

Keep in mind that most of the more common herbs we use are native to the hillsides around the Med; essentially arid conditions.

The better you treat them, the less happy they will be. And the milder the flavor. In other words, do not treat them like house plants, which appreciate babying.

If you have the room, a fun approach is to plant your herbs in strawberry pots. You can use both the large opening and all those little cups. Many people use them to create theme herb gardens, such as Italian or Asian.

By the way, you can start most herbacious herbs from clippings. If you ever use those expensive clamshell packs from the grocery, try starting some of them. Basically, take a sprig. Cut the bottom at a sharp angle. Remove all the leaves. Plant the stem, cut side down, in a pot of sand or planting soil. Keep it relatively moist until roots form and new leaves start to appear. Then transplant to their final home. Among those you can start this way are mint, oregano, marjoram, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, and sage. Basil will not work from cuttings, and should be started from seed. Parsley, too.

You can also transplant your little potted plants into one big pot, a sort of container garden. Choose plants of different heights, drapey stuff like thyme, different colored basils, even some chives, etc. You can cram in as many or as few as you want, and it will be very attractive as well as useful. It can go outside in mild weather if you want, then brought in when it gets cold. Do you already grow some houseplants, MBE?

Last edited:
The better you treat them, the less happy they will be. And the milder the flavor. In other words, do not treat them like house plants, which appreciate babying.

I did not know this, thank you for the information. :)

You should also be aware that some plants are annuals and will last the summer, but won't be able to go much longer.

When you get your new plants home, Google each kind for plant care to get the info.

Back
Top Bottom