If you don't enjoy gardening, is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's something new it looks almost like a short half barrel..It let's in air, can be moved and reused over and over..I bought it on line. If you would like the name I'll PM it to you.
kades

Spring Fling!

Because of this thread, I decided to plant a few things in pots. I found three large pots at the local hardware. In one, I've put an heirloom beefsteak tomato along with some sweet basil and parsley. I may have to move the herbs as it grows. In another, I got two bush cucumbers and put it in with a few shallots and and some bunching onions. In the third, I put in a cherry tomato with basil again. I'm so excited. :)

Since the pots looked so pretty, I got super ambitious and placed some shallots and garlic in the ground in several places. And I replanted my dill in a partially shaded area since it was fried in the sun last summer.

Frank is calling me "Farmer Girl." Mind you, I'm the one who describes the Great Outdoors as what I go through to get to the car. :cool: And I just landscaped the back forty so that I can manage it with a bottle of round-up and a weed eater.

Several times, I asked myself what I was getting into, but the thought of vine-ripened tomatoes calms my thoughts!

Did I mention that I'm so excited??? I'm downright bouncy.

~Kathleen

Growing in pots is a really good way to go if you don't want a "graden". If you want to learn more just Goggle "container gardening". There are also a lot of books on the subject. That is how I got started, and now.. well..I'll post some pics after I get everything planted. :angel:

Growing in pots is a really good way to go if you don't want a "graden". If you want to learn more just Goggle "container gardening". There are also a lot of books on the subject. That is how I got started, and now.. well..I'll post some pics after I get everything planted. :angel:

Oh yeah.. she needs MORE inspiration. ;)

Are you still gardening in pots? And I've hit sooo many container gardening websites. It's almost overwhelming. My biggest challenge is to find what size I need for which kinds of plants.

~Kathleen

Are you still gardening in pots? And I've hit sooo many container gardening websites. It's almost overwhelming. My biggest challenge is to find what size I need for which kinds of plants.

~Kathleen

Not 100% any more. I moved to raised planting beds about 5 years ago. I still grow various hot peppers in pots, my herbs, and then what ever doesn't fit in the beds and I can't give away.

This year I am trying something in pots that I saw in one of my gardening magazines...pole beans in the center climbing a small tripod with carrots, beets and leaf lettuce around the outside.

Dave,

How large are your pole bean containers? And how many plants did it hold?

Also, how hard is the raised bed gardening? Now I'm curious!

~Kathleen

Kathleen,

The pots I am using are @ 2 x 2 square. I figure I will get plant between 12 and 16 beans around the tripod and then the beets and carrots will go along the outer edges. The weather this week has be a bit behind but I am going to get them planted as soon.

Raised bed gardening is pretty easy. There are upfront costs for the lumber to build the beds and the soil mix to fill them. They should be no more than 4' square and can be any height you like. Recommended height is 12" but some like them 16 or 18 so you can put on a top board for sitting on. Since they arew 4' x 4' you can reach all parts of the bed from all sides so you can plant more veggies in less space. and it works really well from companion planting...like planting lettuce in the same bed with the tomatoes so that the plants shade the lettuce from the hot sun and then plant carrots around the outter edge. Add in some flowers, marigolds and maybe some zinneas, and you have a complete garden. (HEY.. there is no gardening/farmer Smilie?!??!) :lucky:

How does my garden grow...

My tomatoes in pots are starting to grow. The cucumbers are green, but look just like they did when I planted them. No signs of shallots or green onions. The basil seems to be waking up. The parsley is following the lead of the cucumbers. No garlic or shallots in the carefully planned beds, but I have garlic shoots where I just "stuck the extra bulbs." :LOL:

~Kathleen

My previous efforts at herb gardening has been confined to pots with very disappointing results. I am the original Mrs. Brown Thumb:P

We've just bought a house in a coastal village,which, while smaller than we are used to, is wonderfully warm in every way and has a circular garden bed in the backyard that is just perfect for herbs. Presently it has some kind of low growing hedge around the perimeter (they are mad on hedges in this town), and an azalea in a pot in the middle.
So out with them all in the next few days and in with the herbs. Will create wedges with small pavers to define eash herb planting and perhaps put a rosemary in a tub sunk in the middle.

Apart from the rosemary, basil, parsley....what do you think I should plant?

I don't know what location/zone you're in, but some other interesting & useful favorites you might like to try are any of the sages (Common, Tri-color, Golden), Pineapple Sage (fruity scent, lovely flowers that attract bees & hummingbirds), Anise Hyssop (nice licorice taste for fruit salads & teas, bee-loving purple flower spikes), any of the lavenders, regular Thyme (Common, French), Lemon Thyme (lovely in fish dishes), oregano (but taste a leaf before buying - many on the market are "mutts" with little flavor - look for named "Greek" or "Mexican" oregano), French Tarragon (another anise-scented/flavored herb - terrific with poultry, seafood, & in salad dressings), Sweet Marjoram, Summer & Winter Savory.... There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of different varieties you can experiment with.

My previous efforts at herb gardening has been confined to pots with very disappointing results. I am the original Mrs. Brown Thumb:P

We've just bought a house in a coastal village,which, while smaller than we are used to, is wonderfully warm in every way and has a circular garden bed in the backyard that is just perfect for herbs. Presently it has some kind of low growing hedge around the perimeter (they are mad on hedges in this town), and an azalea in a pot in the middle.
So out with them all in the next few days and in with the herbs. Will create wedges with small pavers to define eash herb planting and perhaps put a rosemary in a tub sunk in the middle.

Try oregano, and sage. There are many new varities these days. Maybe some chives too. Oh and I can't forget thyme.

Last edited:

Thyme, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, and mints are often nice. My favorite herbs that we grow are Greek Oregano and Dill. I love dill sprinkled over the butter on freshly cooked ears of corn in place of salt.

~Kathleen

Thyme, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, and mints are often nice. My favorite herbs that we grow are Greek Oregano and Dill. I love dill sprinkled over the butter on freshly cooked ears of corn in place of salt.

~Kathleen
If you have a tub you might try some marjoram, its so good with eggs, in fritatas, I also tried tarragon, love it. Chives,among the herbs I put easter egg radishes,carrots that are purple on the outside and orange on the inside. We planted sweet white onions, potatoes, I plan to plant more late bolting lettuce, and I planted cubanelle peppers. I'm loving playing with these things and seeing them grow. Now I have to go gopher hunting the little baggage has taken aim on my tomatoes and has made off with 2 plants so far.:angry:
kades

Back
Top Bottom