Is there a correct way to harvest basil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I've always just popped off the nice looking bigger leaves, and whatever is going to come off when I take the seed heads off... but I was wondering today if I'm doing it right?
I do have new baby leaves starting where I've picked bigger ones so I assume so... rather than plucking off a whole branch.

Hey suziquzie... what I did is just lop off the plant... leaving about 2 inches of stem from the soil. The whole thing grew back with in 2 weeks and is ready to be lopped off again!!!!

Last edited:
To store, you can rinse and then wrap a moist paper towel around it and then put it into a storage container or plastic bag. The second time it grew back in, it was lusher and the leaves more supple!!!

Edited: I'm not sure that is the correct way, I actually thought I would lose the plant after I did that, but looks like I get to harvest again...yippeeee!

Last edited:
The wife is asleep so I can't ask her details, but anytime I ask for Basil, Thyme, Parsley or lettuce she just goes out and lops a bunch off of it. It always grows back, but I have noticed they are the few plants she does make sure get plenty of water on a regular basis and they just keep leafing out all summer long.

Cut it off right above a joint of leaves (don't know the technical term). You don't want to cut right below, but, right above two leaves. I think I said that right anyway.

You do NOT want to let it flower/bloom. Once you see the blooms cut them off right away OR you can wash them, pack them in a jar, cover with olive oil, and use that VERY SAME DAY for browning/cooking chicken in or even making a salad dressing. It's not something you want to keep around though!!!!!!

Last edited:
I am going to reiterate what others have said: don't let the basil "bolt" (i.e., flower). You'll get a lot more basil if you pinch it back every time it looks like it will flower. I even have been known to pinch back other's plants when I see them start to bolt.

I've discovered that for my purposes taking basil, olive oil, and garlic, pureeing in the food processor, then freezing is best. I do make some pesto as well, and I do also do some with a simple vegetable oil so that I can use it in Southeast Asian cuisines.

Do Not Let the Basil Plant Flower

I agree with kitchenelf. AND when you want to save some for much later in the season.....take the leaves DO NOT WASH Dust with a paper towel place in a small plastic container,pack .and place in the freezer.

I had some before the beginning of this season....still fine in the FREEZER.
Of course then I put it in my Compost Pile. Started using the new basil.

I have my own Basil all year.

I've not ever let it flower. They told me not to the first time I bought a plant.... sound advice! Just wondering if my picking method between planting and end of season was right.

When I freeze my basil I usually make a paste in the mulcher (food processor) of basil and EVOO.... not alot of oil....freeze in ice cube trays then put in a freezer bag.... that works great also.

Now I'm wondering....
I just went out to do my daily seed popping off my basil plants.
If I were saving these seed pods could I be planting them next year?

Are they actually seeds, or flowers? My basil flowers haven't developed seeds yet, because I keep cutting them off :) I always buy plants. If the plants you have are hybrids, there's no telling what you'll get from the seeds.

Back
Top Bottom