"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO Container Gardening Tips

i do container gardening. would be good to get some tips

babe

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i do container gardening. would be good to get some tips

babe
I have an all-container garden, too, babe. My growing season in Boston is shorter than yours in San Diego (BTW, I want to move there when I win the lottery!).

I buy plants for most flowers, all herbs, tomatoes (unless I want a particular heirloom variety), Ichiban eggplants and a single jalapeno plant.

From seed, I plant radishes, pole and bush beans, and sunflowers.

I've grown many different flowers and vegetables in containers over the years, but have narrowed down the varieties to those I most enjoy and yield the best.

What kinds of things do you grow in your containers?

By qsis, shot with Canon PowerShot S230 at 2007-03-26

Lee

Old 02-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I have some container plants. The best thing I've learned in the last 2 years is to buy the moisture control potting soil. It get really hot and dry where I live in the summer, but I am lucky to have a long growing season.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

There is very little, if anything, that you can't grow in an appropriate container.

When I had to have 2 surgeries after nearly severing my leg, my "garden" for 2 seasons was entirely in containers on my deck. I grew several different varieties of heirloom tomatoes - full size, paste, cherries; both sweet & hot peppers; eggplants; okra; greens; beets; carrots; edible flowers - virtually anything I felt like growing.

The keys for success that I find work for me for container growing are:

1) The large the container the better. Obviously for shallow-growers like greens that leans more towards width rather than depth.

2) A good relatively soil-less potting mix. If you have good homemade fluffy compost to mix in, so much the better.

3) Constant & consistent watering. In the blasting heat of summer here in Virginia, that can mean watering thoroughly twice a day.

4) Feeding. Whether you garden organically or not, containerized plants require more frequent feeding than open garden plants.

5) Pest Control. I've found this to be relatively easy, as I can hand-pick off pests like Tomato Hornworm & blast off aphids & such with plain water. Haven't had to resort to any chemical pesticides yet.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I have an all-container garden, too, babe. My growing season in Boston is shorter than yours in San Diego (BTW, I want to move there when I win the lottery!).

I buy plants for most flowers, all herbs, tomatoes (unless I want a particular heirloom variety), Ichiban eggplants and a single jalapeno plant.

From seed, I plant radishes, pole and bush beans, and sunflowers.

I've grown many different flowers and vegetables in containers over the years, but have narrowed down the varieties to those I most enjoy and yield the best.

What kinds of things do you grow in your containers?

Lee
what a lovely yard. i pretty much just do flowers. you have inspired me to try some vegs. not quite time to plant though.

babe
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
I have an all container garden too! I've done patio tomatos, tons of hot peppers - habaneros, jalapenos, banana peppers, serrano peppers, bell peppers, peas, jack-be-little pumpkins, all kinds of herbs, lots of flowers.

This year I'm trying tomatillos, strawberries, I have a mystery plant growing, that I 'think' will be some kind of veggie! I'm trying to decide what else to do. I have very limited space, but want to try my hand at some other veggies too.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

I'm adventuring into the container gardening as well.... so far I like it! I need to get bigger containers tho!!! Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
I need some more of my bigger containers too! I'm considering trash cans... I think they might be cheaper!
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

LOL! That may not be a bad idea spryte... I think you can find the large containers rather cheaply. If you know any landscapers, it may be worth checking with them for their containers that they have left over from their jobs. They normally throw these things away or reuse them. Most the time they have way to many to use all of them on their own.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

We have quite a bit in containers this year. You may have seen these in my other thread, but anyway:

Herbs

Grape tomatoes, hot peppers, etc.

There great to have now because we can move them around to where the sun is. The 3 square containers were $14 at Lowes. I move the rectangles back onto the deck railing in a few weeks.