ISO help w/barrel herb garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megan87

Assistant Cook
Ok so I have two half barrel in my front yard that I want to start planting herbs in. They get majority sun with little shade in the morning, Good drainage. I know I want basil (sweet and ???) Thyme, rosemary, parsley. Are there others I should be considering? Those five are the main ones I cook with. Also can I put all in one or should I split them up and if I split them which to pair with which???

First, note that rosemary is easily a perennial in Texas and can become a robust shrub large enough to merit it's own barrel half or space in the ground. Similarly, sage will become quite large, although mine tends to get a little leggy. It has, however, outgrown the rosemary and has taken over a barrel size planter.

Most other herbs are annuals here, either going to seed or freezing. There are many varieties of basil. Classic Italian basil and lemon basil or Thai basil are different enough from each other to be worth keeping them all. I keep my convenient herbs in two self-watering planters, each about two feet diameter. Because of the large water reservoir in the bottom half of the planter (originally a stock tank), the plants get some protection against freezing.

I mix up the herbs for visual effect. Thyme does fine growing low under the edges of sage, with chives around the edges of the planter. Consider a mint.

Consider starting the rosemary in the planter and later moving it out to it's own planter or ground space. Also, pinch back the heads as basil and others start to bloom to extend their useful lives.

Back
Top Bottom