ISO Info Growing Basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tried moving the basil inside to a warmer place but still it's dying. The leaves are going yellow. I've tried to preserve as much of the leaves using salt but I guess I will try to plant a new one next spring. I don't know which variety of basil I have however.

This will likely be one of those questions you'll laugh with your family over but I'm going to ask it anyway (remember, I'm from sunny California).

How do plants know? I mean, you call a plant an annual or perennial but if you are growing it inside and you give it light and warmth and water, how does it know it's not supposed to grow because it's the wrong time of year? I get the whole photosynthesis thing with outdoor trees dropping their leaves, but I don't get how an indoor plant knows it's not supposed to be growing.

Plants have "life" cycles. Regardless of where they are living. Once they
go to seed, their purpose is done and they can die, or go dormant, depending
on what type they are.

If you start seeds indoors, as long as you care for them properly, they will
grow regardless of the season.

My Phd seeking genetic botanist of a wife could tell you precisely why, but it
would be rather in depth, with many multi-syllabic words and confusing phrases
LOLOLOL!

I got a couple of Chia herb garden sets for Christmas, and as soon as I figure out
how to cat proof the window box, they will be planted and should do just fine.
I hope. Need basil, cilantro, mint and some other goodies! :)

Exactly - & not a dumb question at all.

"Annuals" are plants that are programmed to go thru just one life cycle. Once they've reproduced - i.e. set seed - that's it for them, regardless of whether you grow them outdoors or inside. Sometimes you can increase their lifespan by removing all blooms &/or seed pods/capsules to prevent them from completing the cycle, but eventually they'll begin losing vigor.

"Perennials" are programmed for pretty much a continuous cycle, although some just naturally have shorter lifespans than others - i.e. when a book or catalog reads "short-lived" or "long-lived" perennial. It's sort of like the natural lifespans different animals have.

Now "tender perennials" are the ones that, although grown as annuals in cold climates, can be kept going virtually forever if their conditions can be met indoors. For instance, I've known folks who've grown pepper plants indoors until they've resembled small trees. I've done the same thing with Coleus plants. And Impatiens are supposed to make lovely little houseplants for a sunny windowsill - just like African Violets.

so... i got one of the basil potted plants from a supermarket. I have a grow light because our apartment doesn't get very much light. I have been growing thyme, sage and oregano under it along with a few potted flowers. I had the other herbs about a month before the basil. I got the basil and have been giving it about 6 hours of grow light and it seems to be wasting away. It isn't completely dead..but it probably will be in a few days at this rate. The soil is damp, the roots are getting water.. there is some plant food in the soil, but that came from the supermarket.
Any ideas? Is it better to start out with seeds? Thanks

basil

I found a way to have fresh basil during the winter months.

Use snack size plastic bags, put basil leaves in and fill with water, freeze. When ready to use, toss the frozen basil into the food or thaw and use as much as needed.

Basil tastes just like fresh when frozen in water.

Misty800

First off, I'd definitely try again with seeds Tdiprincess. Cheaper, plus supermarket plants go thru a lot stress between being shipped from the distributor to the store & then being kept in less than optimum conditions before a sale.

Also give your plants more light. Six hours of artificial light isn't nearly enough. They need about twice that.

Thanks for the tip, Misty, I'll give it a whirl---I'm always throwing out rotting basil because I haven't used it all and anything with plant cells costs a fortune here----when I go produce shopping here I try and not pass out.

Use snack size plastic bags, put basil leaves in and fill with water, freeze. When ready to use, toss the frozen basil into the food or thaw and use as much as needed.

Misty800

sounds like a good tip , Misty. I will have to try that.

There is an easy way to grow extra Basil or propagate ( I think the term is ) , Do as I do and I have no problems at all, But I do live in a hot sunny place most of the year, doesnt get very cold, even in winter here, I live in sunny Nth QLD in Australia, and as most Aussies will know, it gets very hot here, not much cold at all, so the weather is perfect. OK, what I do is cut off the tips of your Basil plant, about 3 to 4 inches long, pull off the larger leaves, so the nuitrients from the soil dont go into the larger leaves, it goes into growing new growth, If you have several Basil plants you can do this with all of them providing they are established and big, then you can get heaps of these little beauties. Then I put them into a glass or glass jar of water, about 3 - 4 in each glass or jar, Then Wait!!!! it will take about a week or 2 for them to start growing roots, when their roots are large enough, then you can transplant them into pots with soil, keep them in a warm sunny spot, and they should grow like wildfire. I have never had a problem doing it this way, and in our winter months, I just bring the younger ones inside for a while, I put them outside during the day, so they can get some sun.
Keep them well watered, when they need it, and all should be good. Another thing I do is pluck off the seeds or flowers if they are to young, as I find if you want a good bushy plant with lots of leaves, then pluck off the flowers, so they dont go to seed to early, wait until they are a mature plant before you allow this to happen.
Hopefully this has helped a bit and given you some new ideas.
Cheers Spiritwolf.

Misty800

Wow what an idea. thank you!!:)

The last time I bought Basil, it went wilty on me. I am SOOO trying this today.

Back
Top Bottom