ISO tips for freezing bok choy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
We have bok choy up the ying yang. I have frozen it in the past (blanch 2 minutes, shock, bag--separating the stalks from the leaves). I wasn't impressed. It was okay in soup, but that was about it. Now that I have the 25 lb of beans in the freezer, I am moving on to the bok choy...I will also be making swiss chard pesto tonight--but I'm saving that for last today because that is easy-peasy and I can have most of the kitchen cleaned before I do that. Oh, I won't be doing that last--I have all those veggies to run through the juicer--maybe I'll do that outside on the deck--juicing can be so messy. Note to self: put pulp in freezer for soups. But back to the bok choy--does anyone have tips on freezing it so that it doesn't end up soggy?

I've frozen bok choy, just chopped and put in a zip lock. It wasn't soggy at all. Maybe you could skip the blanching. It kept very well for a long time. No problem.

That's what I would try...bok choy has a lot of water in it already and if you blanch it, it starts the water coming out sooner and makes it mushy.

Thin slice a bunch and make a cole slaw out of it...before you freeze it.

Thanks PF! Oh--I like the idea of making it into s/thing before freezing. I was thinking of making an undercooked stir fry with the bok choy--but then, I wasn't sure I could master the undercooked part! Coleslaw I can do--and I have the ingredients!

Freezing Bok Choy

Last week I purchased some bok choy, and visited this site to see how to freeze it. Thanks to all. It froze just fine without blanching. Today I added it to my chili, along with some other vegetables. It turned out perfectly fine. Also added some to my soup, and it was good too. Seems like a wonderful food to freeze. Cheers.:chef:

Yep! Bok choy is a perfect freeze candidate. I've been on the hunt at my supermarket for some baby bok choy with no luck lately, but when I do find it, it will be chopped and frozen. It's such a lovely flavor to add to many dishes.

Nope! Just chop it and throw it into the freezer. Grab a handful for anything and replace as necessary. It's got a great flavor and cooks up fine.

... unless you want it crisp. It's got to be fresh for that.

Cool! I've found that chopped green onions freeze well too. I keep a ziplock of them, great for just about anything.

Me too!

On the other hand, I froze a bunch of baby bella mushrooms before slicing them. Not a good idea. I thawed a few to slice and put in a green bean casserole. They were nasty and mushy. I had to toss the thawed ones.

I'll use the rest to make mushroom soup.

Me too!

On the other hand, I froze a bunch of baby bella mushrooms before slicing them. Not a good idea. I thawed a few to slice and put in a green bean casserole. They were nasty and mushy. I had to toss the thawed ones.

I'll use the rest to make mushroom soup.

Mushrooms work better frozen if you cook them first and then freeze them. I saute mine in butter and garlic, after chopping or slicing. If they are chopped I freeze them in an ice tray for the perfect portion I need for addition to sauces and stews.

I agree. Interestingly (to me) Hen of the Woods mushrooms freeze beautifully raw.

Blanching is still a good idea. It kills germs and it stops the enzymes from working. According to Joy of Cooking, peppers (bell and hot) are the exception in not needing to be blanched before freezing.

I won't be so lazy again. I have cooked and frozen mushrooms in the past. It worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom