"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Italian Seeds

Just received the Italian seeds I ordered: San Maranzo tomatoes recommended by CWS4322 as being the best short season tomato for canning tomato sauce. Also some Italian cherry tomatoes for eating and canning, arugala, and a wonderful yellow fleshy pepper.

All instructions are in Italian but they have affixed a small sticker in English. Will start seeds on heating mat in indoor greenhouse, set outside at end of May (still iffy).

Our farmers market provides local organic produce through the summer, but I would like to grow items they don't sell -- like shallots. Any advice on type?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Hi web, we spread our seeds out on a damp paper towel, roll it up a place it in a partially filled jar with water, set on a windowsill. In about 2-3 days the seeds have germinated, then carefully transplant to the next medium and just like that they're all growing and you can save a week to 10 days doing that. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Just received the Italian seeds I ordered: San Maranzo tomatoes recommended by CWS4322 as being the best short season tomato for canning tomato sauce.
Good luck! I recently used some that were in the freezer--they tasted as if they came out of the garden that morning. When I froze them, what I did was skin them, half them, and seed them. Then I stuffed them into a container and froze them as a block. I then wrapped the block by first wrapping it in clear wrap and then 2 layers of freezer paper.

I love these tomatoes as "tomato chips" that I make in the dehydrator. I hope the plants grow (and produce) where you are. FWIW, the volunteer tomato plants that come up produce almost as well as those we start, transfer to the greenhouse, etc.

There's nothing like a sun-kissed tomato on toast (with homemade mayo) for breakfast.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Trying to figure out quotes on IPad
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
Our farmers market provides local organic produce through the summer, but I would like to grow items they don't sell -- like shallots. Any advice on type?
(quoting Web-Collage)

DH bought shallot bulbs for planting (not the pregrown cooking kind) from Walmart. Apparently they can be planted Spring or Fall. I have 5 bulbs growing in a container bed along with radishes and cukes, each is to produce 5 or more shallots by the end of the season. They may not make it that long as the green shoots are delicious, like a shallot-flavored chive!

Apparently it takes awhile to grow them from seed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

No experience with shallots, sorry.

I've grown the roma tomatoes and last year San Marzano, the SM were much more fleshy and dryer than the romas. I also dehydrate them, they are great that way. I usually just half them, no need to squeeze out seeds or water--they are dry (maybe it was the year?). I might cut them in 6 pieces each this year, just so it's easier to cook with them once they are dehydrated.

Tags
italian