"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I won't use Sevin Dust, it is poison for birds which are near the affected trees and plants.
We have lots of wild birds, and they haven't been affected at all by our occasional use of Sevin.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Yeah! We have a unusual infestation of beetles this year! Due to the warm winter we had here!

My DH takes a bunch of tin cans, fills them with old rags, then he adds about 1/2 cup of kerosene to the can o rags; covers the top loosely with tin foil to keep out the rain water, which would spill out the kero, and then places them around the plantings!

A lot of bugs don't fly around the area of those stinky kerosene rags, and it keeps down the Japanese Beetles!
Oh! Just a little hint! Don't let a beetly fly in your ear. If they do, they will bite and eat, and dig further than you can imagine. Wear a little cotton in the ears when working in the garden! The only way to get one of those critters out, is at the ER.
Believe you me! What? Huh? What did ya say?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I just sprayed for those guys today! I saw one on my roses the other day so I picked him up and threw him over the fence....uh didn't work, him and a friend came back! He showed me! I also started seeing black spots on my roses so I bought something that said it was good for both and also safe for roses house plants and veggies....we'll see
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I thought I read that those darn Japanese beetles were brought into this country by N. Carolina to eat the aphids. They reproduce quickly and they bite. We have had them here but not so many this year.

A few years back a neighbor had a window in her home replaced and when the workman took out the old window frame there were numerous dead Japanese beetles stuffed in around the window opening. Yech.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #15
Executive Chef

well I guess the spray didnt work.....there was four times the amount today....and they started diving for my head! HELP!!!