"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Japanese beetles

These beetles are invading everything. Hubby has put out some beetle traps and they fill up quickly.

__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
I hate critters, even the good ones, except Lady Bugs. But even another impersonator, damaging beetle, impersonates them and is damaging.
Anyway, I just looked up your critters on wikipedia, 'cause I know I've never had this problem, and didn't know if they were outside or in.
Guess what, they start as grubs, and we do have them, but our (worse problem) armadillos dig up the lawn and take care of them. That's the armadillo diet.
I checked; Japanese beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and they say the"trap attracts more beetles than it traps, thus causing more damage...were the trap not used".
Then a bunch of interesting stuff, and then,
"natural repellents". I like deterents better than removal.
Touchy, feely bugs, no way!

What do you have that is attracting them?
Do you and the area get them every year?
Thank Japan and your neighbor, New Jersey.

Yik! Good luck.




__________________

__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I hate critters, even the good ones, except Lady Bugs. But even another impersonator, damaging beetle, impersonates them and is damaging.
Anyway, I just looked up your critters on wikipedia, 'cause I know I've never had this problem, and didn't know if they were outside or in.
Guess what, they start as grubs, and we do have them, but our (worse problem) armadillos dig up the lawn and take care of them. That's the armadillo diet.
I checked; Japanese beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and they say the"trap attracts more beetles than it traps, thus causing more damage...were the trap not used".
Then a bunch of interesting stuff, and then,
"natural repellents". I like deterents better than removal.
Touchy, feely bugs, no way!


Yik! Good luck.





we have lots of trees . I prefer deterrents too. I had wondered about those traps, it did seem like more beetles were showing up. I guess I ought to research some other way to deter them if I can at this stage.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Personally, I would get out the Sevin Dust.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
I won't use Sevin Dust, it is poison for birds which are near the affected trees and plants.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
They ruv you, ya ya ya, the ruv you, ra, ra,ra..


sorry............................................. ........
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
They ruv you, ya ya ya, the ruv you, ra, ra,ra..


sorry............................................. ........
veddy funny.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Anau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas, our Texas
Posts: 139
There's a product called Milky Spore composed of a bacteria which is a pathogen to the beetle larvae. Here's a link: Milky Spore

Also, Sevin dust is pretty non-toxic to animals but will kill all bugs harmful or beneficial (especially bees) but if you're careful with it, it works like a charm, IMHO.
__________________
The best things in life aren't things.
Anau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Exactly what are Japanese Beetles??? The ones we called Japanese beetles as a kid were these black and white bugs that inhabited cotton wood trees.

As kids, we would capture these bugs, take them one at a time and put them on the hood of a hot car to make them fly, then beat them down with boards and bats. (I know.. sick sick sick!!!)
__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post

As kids, we would capture these bugs, take them one at a time and put them on the hood of a hot car to make them fly, then beat them down with boards and bats. (I know.. sick sick sick!!!)
sattie, too much time on your hands!

LadyCook, any kids in the neighborhood? !?!?
__________________

__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.