"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Lasagna Gardening?

Any one heard of lasagna gardening nothing to do with the the pasta dish? Also I have finally figured out why even though I grow tomatoes I still have not been happy with the taste. So as it were I grew some tomatoes some called Red Lightning Hybrid it is to me very tasty as it is tangy not sweet. I do not like the sweet tomatoes they do not taste like the tomatoes that I loved when I was younger. So my question is. Who also likes a more tangy tomato and what types of seeds do I want to get for next year. I have also bought seeds from Siberia, Russia, Nepal etc. Any input on those?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Head Chef

Look up seed savers on the web . They are in Decora Ia. They have a very good selection of heirloom seeds, that just might be what you are looking for

Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I am going try the heirloom seeds this spring, plus put in an asparagus bed. Has anyone read Barbara Kingsolvers new book,
"Vegetable, animal, miracle"?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

Started it, but haven't gotten that far. How do you like it? I think the first chapters were very interesting, especially since I decided somewhere along the line that I didn't want to live in the desert for many of the reasons she cited. Once we house-sat for a friend who lived in AZ and the automatic sprinkler broke. Since it was set for wee hours of the A.M., we didn't realize it had broken and within 48 hours every plant they had was brown (yes, it was the height of summer, days over 100 every day). Ouch. We felt very bad, but it happened so fast it was amazing. And hubby and I both grew up at least partially out west.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have only read some on the internet ordered the book just a few days ago. It's not that hot here as AZ. My reason for wanting to try it is because it's supposed to be the least amount of work as far as gardening gos. I plan to make a raised garden already bought the weed barrier cloth. Still waiting as usual on DH to scrounge the wood/fencing I need to build the garden.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Just loved it, it has inspired me to eat local, we try very hard to only eat organic. The book is very hard to put down. Read it and let me know what you think.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I read this book several months ago and it was a fun read. It made me feel good about the way I garden and also reminded me of my childhood. Eating seasonally is the way I grew up. I really wish I had their mushroom patch!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Cook

JP, Guess we kind of changed the original post! I just googled lasagna gardening and it looks interesting. That would be great for rooftop gardeners. I think I will try t hat next year with potatoes. There is no place to plant them in the garden but I can set up a special place.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
The main perks that I noticed from it where lack of weed growth and moisture retention.