"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Late Blight

Sorry...
I love my Heirloom Tomatoes..
But it happens to the best gardeners.
Lime can help for Calcium. And you may be able to salvage those that haven't turned black on the bottom, it's worth a try.
Your seeds will be fine. The tomatoes taste good just cut off the black part.
This can happen with the tomatoes getting too little water or too much water. But the lime will definately help.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I read this thread and immediately called my FIL for advice. He's a professor of horticulture at a local community college, and has been cultivating plants for 50-odd years. Here's what he said:

1) The odds of finding an heirloom cultivar that is blight resistant are so remote as to be laughable.

2) The most blight-resistant strain of tomatoes he's ever seen is called a Rutgers VFA - developed in the 40's.

3) Whether your seeds are carrying it is a function of what type of blight it is - viral, bacterial, etc. He says he wouldn't bother trying to save your seed.

4) He says the best way to prevent blight going forward is rotation, rotation, rotation. If you grow other veggies, move them around. If all you grow are tomatoes, move the whole garden every year. Planting the same crop in the same place every year just increases the likelihood of problems.

Hope this helps! :)

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Thanks TheMetalChef for your info...appreciate it!

There are two of us posting with different late blight issues...the original poster has heirloom tomatoes and wants to know if she can safely save her seed.

I am not interested in heirloom tomatoes...for the most part I raise hybrid vegetables and can not save seed. I do rotate the vegetables every year in the garden..always have. Late blight is a spore producing pathagen. The plants I ripped from my garden were HUGH and looked healthy, except for the beginnings of the blight. I am trying to find the best tomato to grow in the future, still haven't found one, or any.

Here is an intersting web site...it says you can safely keep seed from late blight contaminated tomatoes.

Disease photos - Vegetable Pathology - Long Island Horticultural Research & Extension Center
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Master Chef

We had early blight here -- the same thing that caused the Irish potato famine. And we had continuous rain and cold until July.

My tomatoes (15 plants) were doomed from the start.

I have 7 or 8 still alive and only one or two are producing even semi-normally. And even then, they taste watery and washed out.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I am trying to find the best tomato to grow in the future, still haven't found one, or any.
Then, for you, it'd be worthwhile to hunt down the Rutger's VFA.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote