Leeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
silentmeow said:
Blissful,
I will try that this year as I've planted way more than the two of us can use and my neighbors are leary of "new fangled veggies". thanks.

Put in box. Address to me. Send.

This is murder for me as I love leeks, they make my stones grow stopping me taking a leak.

Ps we have leek growing competitions over here.Bobs leeks are massive.
BBC - Tyne - People - Leeks on the menu
bro' bolas lives in wales where both the leek & daffodil are national emblems & were traditionally worn pinned to your hat on saint davids day,the patron saint of wales.sadly he lost his business when smaller hats became more popular...................:LOL::ROFLMAO:!

Buongiorno, Blissful,

New Fangled Veggies:

Leeks, a Mediterranean Staple can be the USA Farmlands´ Great Great Great Grandfather !

I believe your neighbors can use a history lesson on Mediterranean vegetables ...

Have lovely wkend,
Ciao,
Margi.

Last edited:
I love to take multiple onion types (scallions, leeks, round onions, shallots, chives) and chop, then put with butter (I use a half of a frozen stick of butter) or evoo and s&p, in foil, and toss over the coals with whatever I'm grilling. You'd think that the round onions would overwhelm, but when they're all together like that, they blend to make a marvelous more complex flavor. This melange I use in almost anything. Add to stock (and obviously the aforementioned potatoes) for a soup of any kind. But just, as is, they are great tossed with pasta, into steamed rice, on a baked potato. There are only two of us, so when I get the coals going, I usually grill thinking in terms of more than one meal. I'll make whatever we're grilling for dinner, but always grill vegetables of some kind. Then I always put some chicken breasts on when the coals are dying back and we're eating. The veggies make for a great meal with just the starch for a meatless meal during the week that just is marvelous.

If your herb garden is booming as mine is, in the foil packet place a couple branches of thyme and one of sage. Leave them whole, for easy removal. The thyme leaves will come off into the onions, the sage will have flavored the mixture. Also, again, in the onion family, a couple of cloves of garlic.

As I said, you'd think that one of the alium family would overwhelm, but no, it doesn't, they just meld together and make a good addition to any other dish, and make super startch dishes.

Claire,

Those foil packets sound wonderful! I would love to do that and freeze the leek-herb-mixture. Have you done that? I freeze roasted garlic and then can use it at my leisure. That would taste great when the snow is 2-3ft.!

I've never frozen it, but can see no reason why it wouldn't work, and work well. A freezing option I have used is to take grilled vegetables of all sorts, chop, then make a stock or vegetable broth with them, then freeze the stock/broth. This liquid is great for any and everything, from beans (great if you're a vegetarian and don't want to use a ham bone), to rice (yummy risoto), pasta, and any soup imaginable. You have that nice smoky flavor just sitting in your freezer.

Back
Top Bottom