Leeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
The leeks we planted last year, overwintered, sent up scapes to 5 feet! I harvested the leeks today.

I'm going to put in another batch now, overwinter them and harvest them in the spring. They did get a lot bigger leaving them in the ground that long.

I love leeks!

Did you hear about the shoplifter who got arrested while stealing leeks?

(You saw this coming, right? He was prosecuted for taking a leek!) ;) [rim shot!]

Hey BT, beat you to it! ;)

Last edited:
Blissful--the only success I've had with leeks as been with the ones that have overwintered. I don't know why, but that seems to be how it works. I chop and lightly saute the excess, toss them in a zippie for the freezer, and use them in the winter for soups, etc.

Greg--:LOL::LOL:

CW--I've frozen mine raw. Usually I use them in a leek potato soup, somehow they taste best with potatoes.

I've used leeks to great advantage cooking them with chicken/pork/lamb, herbs and wine, then making a cream sauce by reducing the cooking liquid and combining with cream and an accent of mustard.

I'm currently working on a (secret, hush hush) Chinese recipe where I replace the commonly used onions with leeks.

It will be interesting to post/discuss leek recipes.

blissful said:
The leeks we planted last year, overwintered, sent up scapes to 5 feet! I harvested the leeks today.

I'm going to put in another batch now, overwinter them and harvest them in the spring. They did get a lot bigger leaving them in the ground that long.

My leeks also over wintered and have sent up scapes as well. I have harvested some and need to get the rest out before the seed pods open. I also plan to put more in to over winter.

I plan to freeze some, I use them in soups and sauces and sometimes roast them.

I've been wondering about this because last week a friend gave me a bunch of "baby" leeks, root on. I think she meant for me us just use them to cook, but I asked her if I could trim them and plant them (they were very fresh). Yes. So that's what I did. So I'm hoping!!!!!

Last year, I wanted to know if I could overwinter those leeks and I asked in a gardening forum, but no one knew.

From what I read, leeks can be harvested in the fall and some varieties can be overwintered. I just covered them in straw--about 6 inch deep. I don't even know what variety I have.

Leeks are from the allium family--like onions and garlic.

All the sources I read said to mound up the dirt around the base as they are growing so that the bottom will have a longer portion near the root that isn't hit by the sun, stays white, and stays tender. I mounded up the straw around the bases to extend the white tender section. I'm going to put more effort into getting them mounded up with dirt in the fall before I cover with straw. I bet I could get more edible leek that way.

Claire, I bet they grow.
Looking forward to recipes for leeks.

I just planted two types of leeks in my garden. I never knew they could be over wintered. We get some really cold times here in MI so I've always pulled everything for freezing or juicing. How much mulch should I apply and when do I apply?

meow, I'd mound the dirt around the bases and put on 6-8 inches of mulch around and on them, at the first frost, at least that is my plan for this year.

Blissful,

Lovely Leeks, Congrats.

I employ Leeks in many of my Pasta dishes, as I prefer them to the strong flavor of yellow onion. I love them sautéed in Evoo and they pair so well with other vegetables. I like them in Risotto and Quiche too ... or as a Cream of Leek with Potato or Zucchini & Leek !

How lovely ... Congrats and enjoy. They are very common here in Spain and France & Italia.

Nice post, and thanks.
Ciao,
Margi.

wleeksspring2012.jpg

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas coming!

Blissful,

Thanks so much for posting the lovely photo.

Leek recipes off the top :

Cream of potato and leek ( vichysois )

Quiche ( sub the onion with the leek and add Proscuitto di Parma )

Cream of leek and zucchini ... 50 - 50 ...

Sautéed in any dish, to sub yellow onion for more subtlety ...

Stuffed Leeks ( need real chubby ones ) as if you were stuffing bell peppers or zucchini or eggplants; Greek vegetarian style with herbs & currants & pinenuts or with Rice and ground beef ( divinity ! )

Omelettes filled with leeks - French Style

pasta of choice with leek, and other vegetables of choice or Risotto

Enjoy the harvest !

Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Bolas: Too bad

Bolas,

Sorry to hear that leeks cause problems for your kidneys and urinary system. Have never heard this before ... Too bad.

They are delicious.

:neutral: Too bad.

Kind regards.
Ciao,
Margi.

Bolas,

There is a dynamic foto of a thick thick leek --- fab for filling and baking just as one might bell peps or zucchini or aubergine or grape leaves ...

However, the Leeks ( puerros in Spanish ) are alot taller ... Perhaps, because they are Not Potted by Home Grower´s at least they are not visual ...

They are a northern variety close to France --- they cannot grow in Desert Dry Climate. I believe Navarra and Loire Valley, however, would have to investigate.

Thanks for that High Tea You Tube ... Always find your Dvd suggestions quite humorous. The best of course, are the Greedy Italians ... I had watched their whole series ... My daughters flipped too and enjoyed . We have had quite a good time watching those ... truly well done.

Ciao.
Margi.

meow, I'd mound the dirt around the bases and put on 6-8 inches of mulch around and on them, at the first frost, at least that is my plan for this year.

Blissful,
I will try that this year as I've planted way more than the two of us can use and my neighbors are leary of "new fangled veggies". thanks.

Back
Top Bottom