Lemon grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a lovely bunch of lemon grass. In the past, although sold as a perenial, it doesn't overwinter. I am wondering how best to preserve it? I am bringing the small pot in, but I have some that is about 3 ft tall. I know you only use the white part, but the "fronds" have a lovely scent when fresh. Any ideas if I can dry those or toss them in the woodstove to "scent" the house?

I've used it to make stock. When I mark it before freezing so I know it will have that distinct SE Asian flavor. Mine, potted, got so large that I finally decided to divvy it up, re-pot it, and gave it to gardening/gourmet cooking friends (I live far enough north that it won't live outside in the garden over winter, or I'd never have given it up). Now I have the best of all worlds; friends (who have better environments for winter inside gardening) who can give me lemon grass when I want it!

Do you just add it to a SE Asian chicken stock? I have some chicken stock that I didn't flavor waiting for attention in the fridge...more like chicken gelatin <g>. I can make it SE Asian with some ginger, garlic, lemon grass, ... miso, ... green onion...

I have a lovely bunch of lemon grass. In the past, although sold as a perenial, it doesn't overwinter. I am wondering how best to preserve it? I am bringing the small pot in, but I have some that is about 3 ft tall. I know you only use the white part, but the "fronds" have a lovely scent when fresh. Any ideas if I can dry those or toss them in the woodstove to "scent" the house?

I had a ginourmous lemongrass plant three years ago and I still have stalks in the freezer.

Infuse tea or lemonade or vodka with the stalk tops.

It can be used in vinegars too. I have a huge bunch that comes back each year. I was so sure I'd lost it last year - the worst winter we've had in ages, but it came back as good as ever.

It freezes just fine, no worries at all.

I would make up a batch of some nice chicken stock, with lemongrass, some Kaffir lime leaf, some ginger or galangal, and just save as a nice soup/sauce base to have on hand.

I am not sure how adventurous you want to be, but it also makes some GREAT sorbets, and ice cream.

TATTRAT said:
It freezes just fine, no worries at all.

I would make up a batch of some nice chicken stock, with lemongrass, some Kaffir lime leaf, some ginger or galangal, and just save as a nice soup/sauce base to have on hand.

I am not sure how adventurous you want to be, but it also makes some GREAT sorbets, and ice cream.

Lemon grass ice cream. Now that sounds good!

Lemon grass ice cream. Now that sounds good!

Yeah, it is amazingly refreshing, you just have to be careful so it doesn't end up tasting like Pledge, lol. Serve in a coconut tuile, and finish with a little Lime zest.

I personally prefer it as a sorbet for intermezzo, paired with something sweet and spicy, like a slice of candied jalapeno. Great contrast, cooling, cleaning, and wakes the palate back up.

Back
Top Bottom