Morel Mushrooms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morels are among the safest mushrooms to pick, if you do your homework. Safe morels, whether black or white, have a cap that is attached to the stem. There are false morels that have a cap that almost looks as if it is attached, but still hangs over like an parasol. If the cap is not attached smoothly to the stem, don't eat it.

There are a good number of people that eat the false morel called "Beefsteak Mushroom". Some people eat them with impunity, never having any problems. But they contain a poison that is found in rocket fuel. Other people can die from that same mushroom. Me, I won't eat them. Why take the chance.

The safe morels are easy to identify, as are shaggy meins, and common field mushrooms. They don't have any poisonous relatives that can trip you up, if you've done your homework first. The boletes are the same way, easy to identify, and choice. There are so very many easily identifieable good mushrooms. But there are also some choice mushrooms that have deadly look-a-likes. They have white gills. The amanitas fall into that group.

It's essential to know what you are picking, know how to take spore samples, etc.

To insure that your mushrooms is a true morell, cut it in half, lengthwise, Make sure the cap is connected to the stem. Local libraries, and the internet have loads of info, including pictures, describing good North American Mushrooms. It's not hard to pick safely. It's stupid to pick without knowing the species you are targeting.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well, this inspired me to check into morels in Texas. Seems they are indeed found and often found prolifically in country not too far from me. Seems the places to look around here are in juniper groves (what Texan's commonly but incorrectly call cedar) on sloping ground. I'll have to take a look. Next year, though. I suspect the time has passed, since the season here starts mid-March.

When an experienced hunter near here can take 13 pounds in one day of one site, it seems worth doing.

Well, this inspired me to check into morels in Texas. Seems they are indeed found and often found prolifically in country not too far from me. Seems the places to look around here are in juniper groves (what Texan's commonly but incorrectly call cedar) on sloping ground. I'll have to take a look. Next year, though. I suspect the time has passed, since the season here starts mid-March.

When an experienced hunter near here can take 13 pounds in one day of one site, it seems worth doing.
Morels add a very nice flavor to soups, dressing, meat, just about anything. Morels are not supposed to be eaten raw.

Lots of people around here hunt morels. I used to when I was able. Nothing else really looks quite like that. I like to soak them in salt water to get the little varmints out (ants, whatever). The best way to cook them is a simple flour/egg/flour and fry in your fave oil.

One thing I have found...some people tolerate them better than others. My husband can eat a whole plate full, while I have to limit myself to a small helping. Didn't used to be that way, but I don't think the ulcers like them.

Hmm too bad they are so expensive! Maybe next year I'll have to see if I can find someone who has a little experience to take me looking for some. Sounds like fun! The season is just ending this year unfortunately.

I'm fond of morels, but must say, I truly love Hen of the Woods. They're one of the only fall wild mushrooms, and there are no poisonous lookalikes. Huge meaty deliciousness.

When I last cooked morels, I saved and froze the leftover butter I cooked them in. Nice added to "domestic" mushroom soup.

Attachments

• image-2868932163.jpg
    image-2868932163.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Hmm too bad they are so expensive! Maybe next year I'll have to see if I can find someone who has a little experience to take me looking for some. Sounds like fun! The season is just ending this year unfortunately.
Interesting, Skittle. My dad, who is in Northern MN, goes morel hunting at the same time he does wild asparagus and into June. Are you sure the season is ending?

I'm just teasing, but find somebody who has a lot of experience, not has a little experience. :)

I think normally it would go into early June but we had a very warm dry spring. I was reading on a forum for people that hunt them up here and the general consensus seemed to be that all the ones they were finding were too far gone.

It's been so warm the June berries might even be ripe in June!! I usually jokingly call them July berries

I always miss morel season in MN (I don't usually go out in May or June), but I'm usually there for sulpher (sp) shelves in August...and those I really like, too.

So what's the morel of this story?
The morel of the story, GLC, is that with reliable sources, you can harvest food in the wild. My dad took us out mushroom foraging when we were young--I recall all those spore tests, etc., I even did a science project on mushrooms. I did, however, get a 2nd opinion on my lone morel--even got a voice mail from my dad saying it was definitely a morel and to look for more!

I had never looked into it much. It appears to be very useful to get local advice on where to hunt. I've found some good local informants on morel habitats around here, and I would suspect that the same advice might not work elsewhere or might be useless, since it involves hunting groves of one particular species of tree. And it was apparently a poor season this year, probably due to hard drought, but it looks like the weather will normalize this year with the passing of La Nina. But I'm making a note to give it a try next March. Morels are just too dang expensive to not go hunting.

Back
Top Bottom