"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #51
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Steve--can you post a photo of wild ramps? I am not sure I remember what they look like.
If you know anyone who has wooded property near water, you will likely find ramps. They are easy to identify by the red stems. If you break off part of a leaf, it will smell like onion/garlic.

The hardest part about harvesting ramps is cleaning them. They really hold onto the dirt!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #52
Master Chef

Common field mushrooms look like Portabello mushrooms, but with an off-white to light brown cap, and pink gills. There are no poisonous look alikes that you have to worry about. They can be found in any fertile field, such as cow pastures, golf courses, cemeteries, etc. As they age, the gills begin to turn dark brown.

Stay away from white gilled mushrooms as the amanita family of mushrooms (death cap, destroying angel) belong to that group. Also, all LBM's (little brown mushrooms) are poisonous in the U.S. Many Asian immigrants have found that out the hard way as the LBM's look like the Asian straw mushroom.

Boletes are easy to identify and choice. They have a spongy looking underside as they disperse their spores from thousands of tiny tubes that stack together and point downward like microscopic drinking straws. There is one variety of Bolete that lives in California that can make you sick. Again, check your reference books, and experienced mycologists.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
If you know anyone who has wooded property near water, you will likely find ramps. They are easy to identify by the red stems. If you break off part of a leaf, it will smell like onion/garlic.

The hardest part about harvesting ramps is cleaning them. They really hold onto the dirt!

Thanks, Steve.Leeks can be kind of a pain to clean too.. I'm going to go look in the bush this weekend. It is wet, wooded, but not on a lake.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I had to order this: Edible Wild Mushrooms of Illinois and Surrounding States: A Field-to-Kitchen Guide (Field-To-Kitchen Guides)"
McFarland, Joe.

Along with a foragers guide. This whole thread has been inspiring!

Amazon, free shipping.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got a pound of ramps from a company in Oregon (thanks Frank and Kathleen) and they were so good roasted and mixed in with potatoes.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I liked the idea of finding wild asparagus until I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it's an Old World plant and not commonly found wild in the US. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I know where three patches of it are within 50 miles of my house. I can get fresh wild asparagus anytime I like in the summer. Most patches are guarded jealousy and tresspassers will be shot.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
I liked the idea of finding wild asparagus until I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently it's an Old World plant and not commonly found wild in the US. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
It's possible it's found in the wild now due to spreading from people's gardens. My mom had an asparagus patch that would spread like crazy if she let it!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Thanks for the responses! I guess it's safe to say that asparagus is not native to the US but that feral asparagus can be found when domestic asparagus has spread to the wild.

I guess my best bet is to plant some when I get a garden, and shoot asparagusnappers!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Oh--I doubt that. We used to get three brown grocery bags every 10 days between May 15 and July 4 about 5-10 miles from our house when I was growing up and my dad still gets LOTS every 10 days from the same area--I don't think he picks all of it because it is just my mom and dad now. We used to get sick of asparagus (and peed green from May until July 4th--okay, TMI). Fence lines, where there were old churches (the ferns were used in wedding bouquets), open fields, there are lots of places to find wild asparagus, maybe not in TX, but I know where I can find it in Northern MN and Ontario <g>. Wild asparagus, (I think parsnip is the other vegetable that is the same wild or cultivated) is actually the same as the cultivated product. When you find it where it has gone to seed, if the plant has red berries on it, I think, if I recall, that is the female plant. What I do at the farm is mark where I find "ferns" after July 4 and then come back in early May and raid the spot!

There is one plant we've been harvesting forever--it is now almost the diameter of a golf ball. It must be a very, very old root.

Tags
mushrooms