Morel mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I finally went out to mow down the hay field, a/k/a the front yard. Almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake to avoid mowing down 14 morel mushrooms. Bonus!!! Love that they were growing in the front yard. Sauteed some, the rest are in the dehydrator. I feel soooo lucky!!!! Morels!!!

So this means that when I get back home, I should go morel hunting? Sounds like an outing to me.:yum:

Oh, and by the way, congrats on your find.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Wow! Keep that spot in mind! We don't have any yet at the farmers market...waiting to pounce.

I couldn't believe I had Morels on my front lawn. I almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake--and the chickens almost crashed into the back of it. I saw the first two mushrooms and that was enough to make me happy. The other 12 made me ecstatic. I'm never moving! The value of the house just went up.

I couldn't believe I had Morels on my front lawn. I almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake--and the chickens almost crashed into the back of it. I saw the first two mushrooms and that was enough to make me happy. The other 12 made me ecstatic. I'm never moving! The value of the house just went up.
Lucky you. I've never seen fresh ones on sale here, never mind growing wild. If I want them I have to buy dried.

No doubt you can get them in somewhere like Borough Market in London but not out here in the sticks.

Last week, the co-op where I shop was selling Morels for $60 a pound. Too rich for my blood. I bought a couple of them ($4 worth) to add to my scrambled eggs.

I need to go back and check to see how much they are this week. Usually, after they have sat around for a while, the store will mark them down significantly. Last year, they went down in price to $19 a pound. Still expensive, but low enough I didn't feel too much guilt shelling out for a quarter pound or so.

Last week, the co-op where I shop was selling Morels for $60 a pound. Too rich for my blood. I bought a couple of them ($4 worth) to add to my scrambled eggs.

I need to go back and check to see how much they are this week. Usually, after they have sat around for a while, the store will mark them down significantly. Last year, they went down in price to $19 a pound. Still expensive, but low enough I didn't feel too much guilt shelling out for a quarter pound or so.
I meant to weigh the ones I harvested...I'm guessing I had over 1 lb. Some were quite large. I took this pic to send to a friend who was going to walk her property and didn't know what they looked like fresh. This was to show the difference in size that they can be. I'm assuming the fungi only sends up flowers once during the season and I won't find anymore this year, but you can bet I'll be checking it daily come next spring.

Attachments

• morels 001.jpg
    morels 001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 333
Wow! Keep that spot in mind! We don't have any yet at the farmers market...waiting to pounce.
The "spot" is 1/4 of the front yard. I did get one a few years back under the apple tree, it hasn't popped up again since, so I knew there was the potential if the fungus was still alive. I was thinking of putting a small garden in the front so the chickens couldn't get it. Definitely have nixed that plan. With the price of morels, I can drive out to the farm to gather veggies.

I finally went out to mow down the hay field, a/k/a the front yard. Almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake to avoid mowing down 14 morel mushrooms. Bonus!!! Love that they were growing in the front yard. Sauteed some, the rest are in the dehydrator. I feel soooo lucky!!!! Morels!!!
Brag, brag, brag......
Just kidding!
Congrats on your find!

I have a couple of nice recipes for wild mushrooms, esp. morels and chanterelles. Do you want them?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast (Oscar Wilde)

Yes, Addie, I have a riding lawn tractor, a gas push lawn mower, and a "whipper-snipper". The Girls love to follow the lawn tractor.

I know you do. I was asking Chief. It was with tongue in cheek. I was just being fresh. I know the Girls just love to go through all that dug up dirt for worms and grubs. Come planting time, and it is "Okay girls, the dance is about to start." :angel:

Last edited:
I know you do. I was asking Chief. It was with tongue in cheek. I was just being fresh. I know the Girls just love to go through all that dug up dirt for worms and grubs. Come planting time, and it is "Okay girls, the dance is about to start." :angel:

I'm the Chief! I simply wave my hand over the grass and it shrinks to an acceptable height.

Oh the stories I tell. Maybe that's why I'm called Longwind.:LOL:

My mower us a battery operated electric from Black & Decker. I sure do go through a lot of tripple-A batteries with it.:ROFLMAO:

Ok, so it uses a large lead acid battery. But that was too mundane an answer. I must be in one of my zany moods right now.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm the Chief! I simply wave my hand over the grass and it shrinks to an acceptable height.

Oh the stories I tell. Maybe that's why I'm called Longwind.:LOL:

My mower us a battery operated electric from Black & Decker. I sure do go through a lot of tripple-A batteries with it.:ROFLMAO:

Ok, so it uses a large lead acid battery. But that was too mundane an answer. I must be in one of my zany moods right now.;)

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I love it when you are in a silly mood. Everyone needs to be silly every so often. It helps to keep the world sane. :angel:

Hello to everyone! Here are two recipes with morels that work really well:

Tagliatelle with morels

250g morels cleaned and cut into approximately 1/2 inch chunks
150g finely chopped onions
fresh garlic finely chopped - about 4 large cloves
finely chopped fresh parsley, sage and a little thyme
white wine 150mls
fresh cream to thicken
a very generous handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese: I personally prefer Grana Padano, but it's a question of personal taste
160g fresh egg tagliatelle

Sauté the onions, garlic in plenty of butter, then add the morels, soften a little then add the wine, reduce a little and then add the the chicken stock and reduce further, then add the cream. Reduce down a little, and in the meantime, cook the tagliatelle until almost al dente. The aim is to finish the cooking in the mushroom sauce so that the sauce becomes a thick coating on the tagliatelle. Add a good handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese, mix in well Dust with plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Serve with extra parmesan on the side.

Paris Brasserie Chicken with Morels

I wheedled this recipe out of the chef in a wonderful Brasserie in Paris years ago. I wish I could find my way back there - if only I hadn't forgotten the name! The ingredients are similar to the tagliatelle coating sauce, with slight differences.

3 chicken leg quarters, with or without skin as you prefer, cut into legs and thighs
250g morels, cleaned and cubed or sliced
300g shallots
3 large cloves fresh garlic
2 bay leaves
1 6-inch sprig of rosemary
1small bunch fresh thyme
a handful finely chopped parsley
150g bacon lardons
350mls good dry white wine
s & p
Butter to cook with
ground black pepper

Melt the butter on a gentle heat, then soften the garlic, ground black pepper and bay leaves gently. Add the chicken pieces and brown them lightly then set aside. Then soften the onions and pancetta, then the herbs. Then add the prepared morels and then a tbs flour to thicken. When the fat has absorbed the flour, deglaze with the white wine and evaporate off the alcohol. Add the stock, stir everything well, and return the chicken pieces to the pan. Simmer for approximately an hour, either on top of the stove or in the oven. To serve, plate up the chicken pieces, put some sauce over, sprinkle with a dusting of fresh chopped parsley and serve with green beans and good fresh bread.

Bon appetit

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast (Oscar Wild)

Back
Top Bottom