"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Morel mushrooms

I finally went out to mow down the hay field, a/k/a the front yard. Almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake to avoid mowing down 14 morel mushrooms. Bonus!!! Love that they were growing in the front yard. Sauteed some, the rest are in the dehydrator. I feel soooo lucky!!!! Morels!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Master Chef

So this means that when I get back home, I should go morel hunting? Sounds like an outing to me.

Oh, and by the way, congrats on your find.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Your reward for a day's hard work.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wow! Keep that spot in mind! We don't have any yet at the farmers market...waiting to pounce.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I couldn't believe I had Morels on my front lawn. I almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake--and the chickens almost crashed into the back of it. I saw the first two mushrooms and that was enough to make me happy. The other 12 made me ecstatic. I'm never moving! The value of the house just went up.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I couldn't believe I had Morels on my front lawn. I almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake--and the chickens almost crashed into the back of it. I saw the first two mushrooms and that was enough to make me happy. The other 12 made me ecstatic. I'm never moving! The value of the house just went up.
Lucky you. I've never seen fresh ones on sale here, never mind growing wild. If I want them I have to buy dried.

No doubt you can get them in somewhere like Borough Market in London but not out here in the sticks.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Last week, the co-op where I shop was selling Morels for $60 a pound. Too rich for my blood. I bought a couple of them ($4 worth) to add to my scrambled eggs.

I need to go back and check to see how much they are this week. Usually, after they have sat around for a while, the store will mark them down significantly. Last year, they went down in price to $19 a pound. Still expensive, but low enough I didn't feel too much guilt shelling out for a quarter pound or so.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Last week, the co-op where I shop was selling Morels for $60 a pound. Too rich for my blood. I bought a couple of them ($4 worth) to add to my scrambled eggs.

I need to go back and check to see how much they are this week. Usually, after they have sat around for a while, the store will mark them down significantly. Last year, they went down in price to $19 a pound. Still expensive, but low enough I didn't feel too much guilt shelling out for a quarter pound or so.
I meant to weigh the ones I harvested...I'm guessing I had over 1 lb. Some were quite large. I took this pic to send to a friend who was going to walk her property and didn't know what they looked like fresh. This was to show the difference in size that they can be. I'm assuming the fungi only sends up flowers once during the season and I won't find anymore this year, but you can bet I'll be checking it daily come next spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morels 001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	21420  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wow! Keep that spot in mind! We don't have any yet at the farmers market...waiting to pounce.
The "spot" is 1/4 of the front yard. I did get one a few years back under the apple tree, it hasn't popped up again since, so I knew there was the potential if the fungus was still alive. I was thinking of putting a small garden in the front so the chickens couldn't get it. Definitely have nixed that plan. With the price of morels, I can drive out to the farm to gather veggies.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I finally went out to mow down the hay field, a/k/a the front yard. Almost fell off the lawn tractor when I hit the brake to avoid mowing down 14 morel mushrooms. Bonus!!! Love that they were growing in the front yard. Sauteed some, the rest are in the dehydrator. I feel soooo lucky!!!! Morels!!!
Brag, brag, brag......
Just kidding!
Congrats on your find!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mushrooms