"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
could they maybe be a little over crowded too? I agree on the water, sounds like they are not holding well.
How big is the box?
it takes space of an entire window. they don't look crowded.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

i concur! yes, thier soil was well-pressed & we watered those babies! i'll press more, to see.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Master Chef

i turned my windowbox around & my sage is perking towards sunlight. my basil's fine, droopy as she oughta be, & my parsley is leaning toward sunshine now, too. i'm gonna spray them & dampen thier soil.
thanks, guys!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Poor little tomatoes, such a short life

Hi peoples, remember I said two of my little tomato plants weren't doing very well. I hate to report this to you, but...they've gone to the other side. I'd bury them but that would be kind of redundant wouldn't it? I thought I'd take them down to the parking lot where there is a ribbon of dirt and ?grass, somewhat growing and let them go back to the soil gracefully, LOL. I don't know what happened, but both of those plants started out in the cola bottle upside down planter. I followed their directions to a T, not a t, but a T; their plants looked great, but mine oh the poor dears. Now the other plants seem to be thriving; the one that is planted upside down, the last one done that way and the ones planted right side up. Time will tell. I love gardening, I'm just not all that versed on the subject and I adore tomatoes, I say adore because well I adore tomatoes. Scrumptious, hmmm. Happy gardening. Its just me giving ya a hollah from Kentucky.
PS: I will try not to be so talkative next time, I just get carried away, those who know me know I love to talk. (sorry)
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
Head Chef

Hi kykuzins, welcome to DC.

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes in the soda bottles - I've never tried that technique. Sounds interesting.

You probably could have started your own thread on this topic.

Lee
Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
Master Chef

Sometimes there is something when I was in the military, working in electronics, we used to call FM. the latter word being magic. Sometimes there just is not an explanation. Last year both a bay tree and a rosemary plant just up and died. Now I have to tell you, both were over a decade old and had been babied; not too much water, lived in the kitchen or bathroom in a sunny window during the winters. They were so darned healthy that my neighbors all knew that if they needed a bay leaf or some rosemary, they came to my house to get them. Then, all of a sudden, under circumstances they both thrived on for years (and yes, I'd repotted them several times), they just up and died on me. It amazed me because the rosemary had actually lived in the trailer with us! I now have a new rosemary and a new bay tree. But these plants were at least 6 years old, they were not root-bound (after I gave up the ghost I did a post-mortem. I think the bay had some kind of bugs, but even so, I'd washed the leaves in previous years with good results. So sometimes you just do not know.