Nasturtiums - can't get them to stay alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They started out in those little pods and then I transferred them to a plastic trough. They got to about 12 inches high and they looked great, but the last few days they have been looking like they are dying.

Mine are in pods and are growing like weeds..... all tangled up together.
I have no idea how I will get them apart to plant when winter finally decides its done here.

"Nasty Urchins" do best if you soak the seeds overnight and then plant them directly in the ground or pot where they're going to grow.

I WISH I had your problem!! Every year I get swamped by nasturtiums! They are coming up all over the place at the moment. Probably got at least 50 individual plants. Here they get no treatment other than from nature. It is mid-Autumn here so I would have thought you were leaving it a bit late to plant them. That may be your problem.

Nasturtiums like a poor, drained soil, like sand with a bit of potting soild mixed in. They also like a fairly dry environment, but do keep them watered. Nitrogen rich fertilizer will give you long vines and lots of leaves, If you leave them in the untreated soil, you will get more blossoms. Both the leaves and blossoms are deliscious in salads.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I just planted a bunch... sounds like I have them in the perfect spot! Thanks!

goodness, they were gorgeous for me in Egypt where the humidity was drier---they weren't overly fond of Houston's sauna weather, however---the gardeners at our house in Egypt ran hoses every day and let the water trickle at the bases of the stems but that was it ....they just were not happy in Houston however, NEVER!!!

so you're saying the less you take care of thier soil the better they do?

i left them alone for a few days and let the water dry out a bit...well, they started to die. SOoooooo I watered them, stuck them outside on the balcony and VIOLA!!! They are growin and I am praying for blossoms now..... Thanks all

hooray, meshoo!
We had them running rampant at our last house - and it's because I ignored them! Now I've got some in a little box that are just poking their heads thru the soil.

and to go with Goodweed's input about eating them - my Grandma told me of many days when they didn't have much to eat, so her mom would put butter on bread slices, and top them with nasturtium blossoms. The kids thought they were being "fancy" having tea sandwiches while their friends "only" got meat!

I actually bought them JUST so I could use them to decorate a cake. LOL. The cake is being baked tonight and no blossoms yet, so I'm going to make sugar cookies and use those instead.

Back
Top Bottom