Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I harvested and cured shallots this past week. They still need to "cure" so I braided them. The braid is very loose so unsure how well it will hold, but wanted to share my shallot harvest!

I have never had any luck growing onions or shallots...

those look great. I tried growing shallots once but they were so peppery hot that I might as well have used hot onions. I guess we just don't have the right soil. It's all clay.

Those shallots look great!

Thanks, PF. I learned to braid them on a YouTube link. It really was for garlic, but my mesh bags are on back-order and I needed a way to store them. I think it is kind of pretty though!

I have never had any luck growing onions or shallots...

My onions are good, but really small. I think I planted them too close together. My spring onions did nothing but die. You know this is all beginner's luck. :LOL: I'm happy the shallots did well! I plan to plant more.

those look great. I tried growing shallots once but they were so peppery hot that I might as well have used hot onions. I guess we just don't have the right soil. It's all clay.

On the website where I learned to braid garlic (and shallots,) I learned that I had to cure onions and shallots....meaning pull them from the ground and leave them laying where air can circulate for a week or so. The leaves finish dying back. Without doing that, my onions were very hot. Once they "cured," the onions were sweet. Not sure if it is just me or whether curing is the trick.

On the website where I learned to braid garlic (and shallots,) I learned that I had to cure onions and shallots....meaning pull them from the ground and leave them laying where air can circulate for a week or so. The leaves finish dying back. Without doing that, my onions were very hot. Once they "cured," the onions were sweet. Not sure if it is just me or whether curing is the trick.
Thanks for the info, I was really sad when the shallots didn't turn out as I hoped. Now I'll try them again next year. You have done me a great service!

Thanks for the info, I was really sad when the shallots didn't turn out as I hoped. Now I'll try them again next year. You have done me a great service!

Next time I plant shallots and onions, I will space them out a bit more. I thought I had planted them with a lot of growing room, but they became crowded fast. I wanted bigger onions, but my spacing limited their size.

Today, I harvested a pattypan squash, a cucumber that I did not even know was growing, the rest of my onions, a small cherry tomato, several sweet peppers, and one huge okra pod. I also have about a pound of dragon's tongue beans.

Many of my tomatoes seem to be developing blossom rot. :/ I think I need to run to the store for some calcium spray.

I'm excited to see that I have a few small melons starting. One is about the size of a large softball!

Last edited:
My S-i-l thought he had planted zucchini's. Guess what we have 2 of the biggest pumpkins I've ever seen and I have no idea is they are edible or carving pumpkins. good grief.
kades:LOL:

>>Many of my tomatoes seem to be developing blossom rot. :/ I think I need to run to the store for some calcium spray.

save the trip. BER happens when the blossom is pollinated - so it's not something that can be "cured" on an existing fruit.

the BER cause is a combination of air + soil temps affecting the ability of the plants to absorb calcium. the "problem" magically cures itself as the season progresses.

feel free to dump some eggs shells or Tums around the plants, but except in extreme circumstances (as in no calcium in the dirt....) it doesn't actually do much.

>>Many of my tomatoes seem to be developing blossom rot. :/ I think I need to run to the store for some calcium spray.

save the trip. BER happens when the blossom is pollinated - so it's not something that can be "cured" on an existing fruit.

the BER cause is a combination of air + soil temps affecting the ability of the plants to absorb calcium. the "problem" magically cures itself as the season progresses.

feel free to dump some eggs shells or Tums around the plants, but except in extreme circumstances (as in no calcium in the dirt....) it doesn't actually do much.

:(:cry: *sniffles*

There is a strange situation going on in my vegetable garden. Some veggie are "out of control" and some are D.O.A.

And the winners are:
Garlic -- for super sizing their order.
Cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower -- for being green giant look alikes.
Tomatoes -- for being outrageously prolific with over the top foliage.
Pole Kentucky Wonder beans -- for outstanding growth and production.
Potatoes -- for growing far beyond the call of duty.
Turnip and mustard greens -- for overall terrific growth and lushness

In the Loser's circle are:
Carrots for cowardice under fire.
Beets, collards, and spinach for failure to make the grade.
Okra for acting stupid
Lettuces for mutiny on the bounty.

Average students are:
Green peppers
Yellow crookneck squash
Kandy Korn
Cucumbers
Onions

There is a strange situation going on in my vegetable garden. Some veggie are "out of control" and some are D.O.A.

And the winners are:
Garlic -- for super sizing their order.
Cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower -- for being green giant look alikes.
Tomatoes -- for being outrageously prolific with over the top foliage.
Pole Kentucky Wonder beans -- for outstanding growth and production.
Potatoes -- for growing far beyond the call of duty.
Turnip and mustard greens -- for overall terrific growth and lushness

In the Loser's circle are:
Carrots for cowardice under fire.
Beets, collards, and spinach for failure to make the grade.
Okra for acting stupid
Lettuces for mutiny on the bounty.

Average students are:
Green peppers
Yellow crookneck squash
Kandy Korn
Cucumbers
Onions

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom