"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #161
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The real problem was the danged moose.... From the footprints it looked like it had been dancing in the herb garden.
There's a joke in there somewhere, a moose dancing in a herb garden, but there is not enough coffee in me yet to find it...

Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #162
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
There's a joke in there somewhere, a moose dancing in a herb garden, but there is not enough coffee in me yet to find it...
I wonder if Taxlady found any moosletoe?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #163
Head Chef

"Moose! Footmoose! Kick off your Sunday shoes!"
Old 05-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #164
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
Spork! As usual you "crack me up"!!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #165
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
There it is!!!! See, I knew given enough thyme someone would find it.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #166
Head Chef

Funny stuff!

We got in 4 rows of corn and 3 of peas in the big veggie garden.

The raised lasagna garden is in. You know how you have plans but when you are actually doing it, everything changes, depending on what you have to plant and the space you have to plant?

The self seeded lettuce is ready to eat and it's beautiful. We put more lettuce seeds in the bare spots between the stuff coming up. Then some chard, in a half circle around it. Then beets in another half circle around it. Leeks and onions in the back. Peas to one side with parsley to the front on one side. Radishes to the other side and purple basil to the front. Watered it and we're expecting thunderstorms this evening.

We're hardening off the tomatoes, peppers and rosemary (sparce!) on the deck, the wind is whipping them pretty good, but they are looking okay.

We will have the back herb garden tilled tomorrow and plant everything else in the next week, water, watch it sprout, mulch and then RELAX!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #167
Cupcake

I've got a delightful spring cold atm. I shudder to think what the garden looks like right now. Lots of rain and a week of neglect.

I love hearing about everyone's garden plans or updates. I think I should be able to harvest some collards soon.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #168
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I've got a delightful spring cold atm. I shudder to think what the garden looks like right now. Lots of rain and a week of neglect.

I love hearing about everyone's garden plans or updates. I think I should be able to harvest some collards soon.
Kathleen, did you get over the cold? How's the garden?
Here is a picture of one garden--the raised lasagna garden. The other garden's aren't photogenic yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raised lasagna garden 2011.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	11105  
Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #169
Cupcake

I still have a bit of a cough.

Today, I went to my garden and found that most of my lettuce and collards had bolted. I may stick to leaf lettuce next year and only do collards in the fall. The peas did not do much either.

I now have several kinds of tomatoes, tomatillos, a little bit of corn, a few melons, two cucumbers, some varieties of eggplant, pattypan squash, yellow squash, a bush watermelon, 12 kinds of peppers, three okra plants, two artichokes, and two kinds of snap beans. My onions and shallots look good. I'm unsure whether the cauliflower is going to do much of anything, but I have hopes for the cabbage. Four red lettuce remain of the lettuce. We picked the kohlrabi today. Now I need to see what to do with it.

I'm exhausted today between the transplanting of space, weeding, and replanting.

Your raised garden looks great. I keep waffling between adding raised beds next year. What have you planted in the other beds?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #170
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I still have a bit of a cough.

Today, I went to my garden and found that most of my lettuce and collards had bolted. I may stick to leaf lettuce next year and only do collards in the fall. The peas did not do much either.

I now have several kinds of tomatoes, tomatillos, a little bit of corn, a few melons, two cucumbers, some varieties of eggplant, pattypan squash, yellow squash, a bush watermelon, 12 kinds of peppers, three okra plants, two artichokes, and two kinds of snap beans. My onions and shallots look good. I'm unsure whether the cauliflower is going to do much of anything, but I have hopes for the cabbage. Four red lettuce remain of the lettuce. We picked the kohlrabi today. Now I need to see what to do with it.
It is fun but exhausting at the same time isn't it.

It is probably getting too hot for the cauliflower, cabbage and the red lettuce. Those things, broccoli, head lettuce, peas, collards, chard, etc, like cooler weather. We have had too much heat and with the predicted temps this week they may bold on you. I have some romaine planted with the tomatoes and it is still young and looks like it is about to bolt.

If you put in the cool weather vegetables at the start - mid August as plants they should do well in the fall.

Glad you are feeling a bit better!!