"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #171
Chef Extraordinaire

Kohlrabi is very nice raw--sliced very thin. I don't peel it if it is under 2" in diameter. You can julienne it and make a nice slaw out of it. You can steam the leaves and eat those like spinach. You can cook kohlrabi as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #172
Head Chef

CW, I'm pretty sure there was a kohlerabi slaw recipe on here somewhere that sounded pretty good. We usually just eat them raw in sticks.

The rest of the gardens have--garlic, 6 kinds of tomatoes, 4 kinds of peppers, kohlerabi, beets, turnips, cucumbers, 2 kinds of squash, canteloupe, eggplanta and around 10 herbs, and probably more I've forgotten already.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #173
Chef Extraordinaire

Kathleen--you can try planting lettuce again once your tomato and eggplants are tall enough to provide some shade (I plant lettuce under the leaves of my tomato plants, ditto with basil). I wait until the tomato and eggplant have taken off enough to provide some shade. Mulching helps to slow down the bolting as well. I use grass clippings (we don't mow that often, so my grass clippings are more like hay...) I plant my peas along the fence where the shade hits the garden first...took me a couple of years to realize that was the BEST spot for peas. Peas can be fussy about germinating, etc.

Lettuce does work well in a large container. I've grown it in the house in the winter and a sunny window...

Once you figure out what works in your garden, you can adjust your plans for next year's garden. I planted pumpkin with my corn this year--to discourage the raccoons (even with a fence, the buggers get in). We'll see if that helps.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #174
Head Chef

Due to our altered state way down here in South FL, my tomato plants in pots are on their last legs. I have a question about replanting - I'd like to try some cherry tomatoes that can withstand our hot & humid summer, but remember hearing that you shouldn't plant tomatoes again in the same soil. Does that hold true for those in pots? Do I have to change out the soil? Has to do with the tomato wilt fungus/bacteria problem. TIA
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #175
Master Chef

Site Moderator

If you had blight or fungus then do no reuse the soil. If not, just remix the soil to loosen it up and add slow release fertilizer and you should be fine. I reuse the soil from my annual pot every year and amend it with compost and Miracl-grow.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #176
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Due to our altered state way down here in South FL, my tomato plants in pots are on their last legs. I have a question about replanting - I'd like to try some cherry tomatoes that can withstand our hot & humid summer, but remember hearing that you shouldn't plant tomatoes again in the same soil. Does that hold true for those in pots? Do I have to change out the soil? Has to do with the tomato wilt fungus/bacteria problem. TIA
Ive planted in the same pots after a tomato plant has finished(end of season) and I just take out a bit of the soil and add fresh and have had no issues. Im not sure what types to grow in FL but I added this year another Mr. Stripey as well as some super sweet and a Cherokee Purple and have the early boys and will be getting a few more this week. Its pretty humid here, but not as bad as it gets in St Louis. The few times Ive been in FL in the summer was early summer and I dont recall the humidity as a problem to me.

Also, I would say if you did have a plant that was sick/died, Id change the soil totally.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #177
Head Chef

Thanks, folks. My plants just kind of petered out, got all straggly, and quit blooming, so I pulled them. Sounds like I might be able to get away with replanting in the same big pots with the addition of some fresh dirt and appropriate fertilizer.

As soon as rainy season really sets in (any day now) the humidity is very high all summer. We wait impatiently for a return to dry weather the way the frigid north waits for Spring.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #178
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The reason it is requested to plant tomatoes in new soil is nematodes. I move mine to different sites every other year. Now we hav them in back and our biggest worry is gophers the little buggers are a big pain.
kades
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #179
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
The reason it is requested to plant tomatoes in new soil is nematodes. I move mine to different sites every other year. Now we hav them in back and our biggest worry is gophers the little buggers are a big pain.
kades
Hmm. Nematodes, huh? This bears researching with the locals hereabouts -- it would probably be smart to inquire at the county extension office.

Thanks, all.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hmm. Nematodes, huh? This bears researching with the locals hereabouts -- it would probably be smart to inquire at the county extension office.

Thanks, all.
If my tomatoes were in a planter container I'd change the soil so I could fertilize and nourish the plants.
kades