Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tomato-hornworm-braconids050916-6227durhamz.jpg

Here is a tomato hornworm. They can be 3 inches long. They are harmless, except to tomatoes.

If you find one like the one below, leave it alone. The white things are cocoons of a parasitic wasp. When they hatch, they fly off to find more hornworms to lay their eggs in. They eat the worms from the inside out--natural pest control.

tomato-hornworm-braconids050916-6225durhamz.jpg

Both of these photos came from a very interesting site (if you are into bugs!) Moth Caterpillar Photos

This is such a good thread!

If you want help on garlic, I feel like I could help you with what I've learned. I over winter it and there are almost no weeds.
I don't know anything about overwintering onions, shallots, leeks?? Can they be overwintered? Garlic and onions are in the same family, so can they be treated the same?

I put in a flat sheet composting garden also known as lasagna garden last year for herbs, tomatoes, peppers, and lettuces, in just ONE year, and it was prolific, it was amazing. (one of 4 gardens now) I am sure I'll start one of the other gardens into a flat sheet composting garden, so I don't have to have it tilled.

Mulching is KEY. Start collecting biodegradable materials now, (and always) and the weeds will be so much less of a problem.

I agree with those that plant garden plots with some of the more unique and expensive items instead of the more common items because, for me, I can harvest those unique and expensive items which I wouldn't afford at the grocery store.
Examples: Tomatillas--green salsa, eggplant--meatless deliciousness, rutabagas--in pasties, lettuces, herbs. Think of what you want to buy but they are so expensive you don't buy them. Grape leaves, free on the roadside, can them, $6.99 for 36 of them when you buy them.

Now is a good time (at least here in the midwest) to start your plants, order your seeds, so when it is warm you can begin to plant. Kathleen, I am very happy for you, and I hope your garden plot turns out wonderful!

I planted green onions (also called scallions) about four years ago. I left some of the plants in the ground and just harvested the leaves. I harvested leaves the next year and they were there last year too. Last year, I even harvested seeds. Bumble bees seem very fond of the flower. Hmmm, I wonder if they cross pollinate with chives...

I better get those seeds ordered so I can start some things indoors.

Thank you for the encouragement. The community plots are generally pretty nice in our area. The plots are fenced in with a lock. I had hoped to get my key by this weekend so that I could see my plot and start planning the layout. Being totally new, I really had no idea where to start. I found this site, which had a wide assortment of garden plans. It even had seasonal garden plans!

I think my best bet will be to think in terms of square foot planting. It is far easier for me to plan for one square foot. I found a few sites that explained the basics. Right now, I feel I can do it!

I am planning to use primarily plants except Frank wants a specific tomato that I doubt will be found here. I'll try to start them in seeds with a tiny seedling greenhouse thingie. (I don't think that is a brand name.)

Planning a specific time to go is a great idea! And thanks for the tips about the horned worms. You will know if I encounter one by the shriek!

For approximately 30 years, the great outdoors is what I've gone through to get to my car, so this is definitely a step beyond my comfort zone and I'm really looking forward to it.

No pigs or chickens allowed in the garden area according to the contract. :)

Oh, my goodness I just realized. I am moving. I tried to grow shallots a few years ago but where we are now the soil is all clay. My shallots grew marginally but they were very sharp and acidic. I haven't bothered to grow them again. I think I'll order some now if there are any left. You usually have to order them in the fall. Maybe they will grow well in our new place!

Kathleen, sorry to tell you this but you may also find worms and grubs in the soil. If you find a white thing that looks like a big jelly bean that is a grub. just wear gloves when you garden. And if you can find someone to loan you a rototiller that is very helpful. But maybe your plot will already be tilled for you. In my first garden I had to turn the soil with a shovel and it was virgin soil. What a major job. I would not do it again. By the way, virgin soil is supposed to be great for potato.

Oh, I'm sure I will find worms and grubs. I've braced myself. Since it is part of a community garden, I'm nearly positive that it will have been worked before. Frank got me a small cultivator for my flower beds at Christmas. Between that and an old potato fork that I was gifted, I think I will be set! :)

Has anyone ever used one of those triangular "winged" hoes? I've seen them called scuffle hoes as well. If so, are they as good as they sound?

Kathleen

HURRAY for me! My farmer friend will sell me as many truckloads of well aged manure as I want for $40 a load! But the real good thing is the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included; and he lives 25 miles away!

I have heavy clay soil and am using raised beds 8 by 16 feet each. He sells me his old hay for mulch for $1 a bale [the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included].

I will plant all the usual suspects and a few fruit trees!

Be careful with the manure--there's high nitrogen content in it. You may end up with "stinging nettles" (which, btw, we did try to eat in the spring one year--reminded us of the taste of manure--now we just pull/kill them--the dogs ate them, but not willingly--but then, only the Saints love veggies--the GSDs are picky).

It isn't time, really, to start again yet here. But I wanted to spend some quality yard time with new doggie, so did some trimming of the perennial herb plants. She loved it, sniffing sage, mint, etc. I was surprised that my greens bed is already sporting some spinach! Time to train puppy not to pee in the garden beds!

HURRAY for me! My farmer friend will sell me as many truckloads of well aged manure as I want for $40 a load! But the real good thing is the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included; and he lives 25 miles away!

I have heavy clay soil and am using raised beds 8 by 16 feet each. He sells me his old hay for mulch for $1 a bale [the price is loading, unloading, and delivery included].

I will plant all the usual suspects and a few fruit trees!

Do you have to wait for your manure to mellow or is it already mellow?

Has anyone tried planting in bales of straw? It sounds interesting for those of us with very little space or for raised gardens.

Has anyone tried planting in bales of straw? It sounds interesting for those of us with very little space or for raised gardens.

I haven't tried that, I did plant in old tires a long time ago--the tomatoes and squash did well and I was able to park the tires on the edge of the driveway, fill them with good soil...also, I have heard that using plastic garbage bags as a technique for people who have limited space and want to do raised beds but not make raised beds. Perhaps one of the master gardeners can enlighten us about raised beds and limited space?

I'll be watching the weather carefully because I placed my strawberries in their planters today. It's going to hit 70 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow and I thought they should enjoy proper sunshine.

Down to 48 degrees Fahrenheit tonight.

We are past the "last frost date" (March 15) but if it gets cold you can place the pot next to the house and the radiant heat should keep it. You can also toss a sheet over them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom