Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! One of the plants already has a tiny strawberry on it. :)

Very cool! I planted some radishes, beets, mustard, and peas last weekend. If I can get my 2 beds rebuild tomorrow or Sat morning I''ll be planing some potatoes and onions.

I sow them right in the ground. Just have to keep them consistently moist so I usually toss on a row cover, but I'm all out, so I put down a layer of straw and then watered them.

I had so hoped to get my garden key by now. :ermm: I really appreciate getting a plot, but wanted to have peas planted. And collards! Maybe kale. I want to try making kale chips.

My toms (marmande,roma,gardeners delight) are sprouting well on the window sills along with bell peppers.My spuds are chitting away(Charlotte salads,Desiree, King Edwards) I mowed the lawns yesterday it nearly killed me. I just fired up the Merry Tiller roto and hopefully it will not rain tomorrow so I can work the compost into the veg bed.

I had so hoped to get my garden key by now. :ermm: I really appreciate getting a plot, but wanted to have peas planted. And collards! Maybe kale. I want to try making kale chips.

If you don't get the key soon I'd pass on the peas. They take about 60 - 75 days to mature and produce after they germinate (7-10 days). As you know spring here can switch to summer heat very fast and peas don't like the heat. If you don't get them in this spring, buy the seeds, put them in a jar with a tight lid, drop in one of those silicone packs to stop moisture, seal the jar and put it in the back of your refrigerator on the bottom shelf. Then plant them in early August for a Fall harvest. I think our first-frost date is October 15th, but I have to check. I find I get better results with the cool weather veg as fall plantings, at least down here.

If you don't get the key soon I'd pass on the peas. They take about 60 - 75 days to mature and produce after they germinate (7-10 days). As you know spring here can switch to summer heat very fast and peas don't like the heat. If you don't get them in this spring, buy the seeds, put them in a jar with a tight lid, drop in one of those silicone packs to stop moisture, seal the jar and put it in the back of your refrigerator on the bottom shelf. Then plant them in early August for a Fall harvest. I think our first-frost date is October 15th, but I have to check. I find I get better results with the cool weather veg as fall plantings, at least down here.

*weeps* I know! But that is a good back up plan! :)

You can store all seeds that way and they will remain viable for a few years. Since most stores don't keep seeds past mid summer buy in the spring for the fall just to be safe.

You can also plant the peas for the greens--they are lovely in stir fry or a fresh mixed green salad.

I read something about that a few weeks ago. I guess you can eat the young off-shoots and leaves?

Dave--you'd probably like to try this recipe for crab and pea sprout salad from the LCBO Food and Drink
(Spring 2002):

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=116

Food and Drink results on "pea leaves" came up with a list of eight recipes (since that is where I first learned about being able to eat pea sprouts--I went back there to see...might be an "indoor" sprout recipe one can try in the winter). Pea sprouts are very tender, "have a pea-like flavor" and if your plants aren't producing pods or it looks as if the plants will bolt, you can eat the leaves (sprouts). All is not wasted <g>. I've done the late summer planting--we scurry to gather peas before the first frost, but our frost is about a month before yours. You might have better luck. And, I'm going to try growing some in flats next winter...

Last edited:
You're welcome--you have access to delicious crap--I don't! Just don't rub it in--but do let us know how the recipe works out--TNT...I'm still evap'ing maple sap <g>.

Do you have boxes of dried Marrowfat pea's in the US, they are used to make the trad side dish for fish and chips. To grow them for the pea's just plant the pea's in the ground with no support then leave till the pods are yellow.
For pea shoots I just plant in seed trays and because they are a fast and very hardy commercial breed you can cut and come again for months.

LOL... that's okay, it took a minute but I kind of figured out what you meant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom