Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garden Update!

I tried to start veggies from seed: What a disaster. Seeds germinated, but then bolted into little leggy things that died pathetically. Not to be deterred, I bought plants.

Today, I placed 6 Roma tomatoes. (I wanted San Marzano, but could not find them in plant form.) Other tomatoes are Brandywine, Big Boy, Tomatoberry (it's heart-shaped!), and husky cherry. I also planted three kinds of bell peppers, three assorted sweet peppers, and two hot peppers. Two eggplants, a sugarbaby bush, one acorn squash, a cucumber, and one summer squash ended today's planting along with a bunch of marigolds. Yesterday I planted two kinds of beans.

We have harvested three large bags of lettuce so far. The napa cabbage bolted before it was ready. My peas really did not grow. We have several purple cabbages growing, some cauliflower, three kinds of lettuce, collards, kohlrabi, radishes, assorted onions, shallots, and beets.

I still have room for my tiny corn grouping, some okra, carrots, and a pattypan squash plant.

The square foot gardening concept is working well for me. Especially since I have planted a bit of this and a bit of that. I've been having tons of fun with the garden and I really like the community garden as there is always someone around to inspire! Aside from the constant fight with crab-grass, it's not been too much for me.

I'll post a few pictures when Frank gets them off of the camera.

How is everyone's garden growing?

~Kathleen

Pictures!

Here are the pictures!

Attachments

• GardenMay 15.JPG
    GardenMay 15.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 146
  • GardenMay 15b.JPG
    GardenMay 15b.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 171
  • GardenMay 16.JPG
    GardenMay 16.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 156
I'm SO jealous......we can't put our gardens in until now and the next few weeks! That's what I get for living so far north.
It's beautiful! Keep up the good work!

Kathleen,Your garden is beautiful. We have been busy, busy here We put in a new meyer lemon, 3 types of Italian frying sweet peppers am still waiting to find cubanelles, 4 cucumbers,10 kinds of heirloom tomatoes, watermelons, mini cantaloupes, parsley, eggplant purple and white, basil, 4 peony's 1 zucchini, yukon gold potatoes we are also tending 2 apple trees a gala and a fuji, a tangarine, a orange, nectarine, peach,pomagranite, more is coming radish,lettuce carrots,onions tarragon, another rosemary.
kadesma

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I seriously would not have tried if it were not for you guys! I get so excited when I go over to it because there are always changes.

Spork, you have no idea the havoc a bunny caused on my Swiss chard.

Here is a picture of the cute thing...cute when he is not in the garden. In the garden, I think the proper term would be "varmint." Notice those chard-fed hips! :)

Attachments

• Bunny.jpg
    Bunny.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 222
Nice photography you have there...

And ya did good on the garden too. :mrgreen:

I have the best photographer. ;)

Blissful, SomeBunny, and TaxLady, what will you grow when you plant?

Kathleen,Your garden is beautiful. We have been busy, busy here We put in a new meyer lemon, 3 types of Italian frying sweet peppers am still waiting to find cubanelles, 4 cucumbers,10 kinds of heirloom tomatoes, watermelons, mini cantaloupes, parsley, eggplant purple and white, basil, 4 peony's 1 zucchini, yukon gold potatoes we are also tending 2 apple trees a gala and a fuji, a tangarine, a orange, nectarine, peach,pomagranite, more is coming radish,lettuce carrots,onions tarragon, another rosemary.
kadesma

I would love to grow citrus trees and a pomegranate. It's too cold here. :ermm:

Looks great Kathleen!

Thanks, PF! :)

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. I seriously would not have tried if it were not for you guys! I get so excited when I go over to it because there are always changes.

Here is a picture of the cute thing...cute when he is not in the garden. In the garden, I think the proper term would be "varmint." Notice those chard-fed hips! :)

Does Frank know you are raising a rabbit? :ROFLMAO:

you need a Max, I used to shoot them for the pot but my wife does not like that so we got Max, he never catches them but he scares them enough so the don't come back, as I sit here he has 2 squirrels treed, its the funniest sight they dont appear to be scared and as usual when they have finished taunting him they come down the tree and run in opposite directions, Max then sit there howling with frustration:)garden & BBQ 064.jpg

I have 3 dogs, not quite as large as Max, but pretty big, and I still have rabbits. :(

I got my garden tilled and mostly planted last night--just in the nick of time. Rain, rain, and a little more rain is in the forecast for the next 10 days. Most people around here have not even started gardens. Mine drains well and has lots of organic material, so I can till when others are too wet. I have a feeling I could ask high prices for tomatoes and peppers, if I was so inclined!

I have a 60 by 60 garden, and every year, I say I am going to let some of it go back to grass, but every year, that spring fever hits me and I plant the whole thing! I do love to garden.

Back
Top Bottom