Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The real problem was the danged moose.... From the footprints it looked like it had been dancing in the herb garden. :LOL:

There's a joke in there somewhere, a moose dancing in a herb garden, but there is not enough coffee in me yet to find it... :ermm:

Funny stuff!

We got in 4 rows of corn and 3 of peas in the big veggie garden.

The raised lasagna garden is in. You know how you have plans but when you are actually doing it, everything changes, depending on what you have to plant and the space you have to plant?

The self seeded lettuce is ready to eat and it's beautiful. We put more lettuce seeds in the bare spots between the stuff coming up. Then some chard, in a half circle around it. Then beets in another half circle around it. Leeks and onions in the back. Peas to one side with parsley to the front on one side. Radishes to the other side and purple basil to the front. Watered it and we're expecting thunderstorms this evening.

We're hardening off the tomatoes, peppers and rosemary (sparce!) on the deck, the wind is whipping them pretty good, but they are looking okay.

We will have the back herb garden tilled tomorrow and plant everything else in the next week, water, watch it sprout, mulch and then RELAX!

I've got a delightful spring cold atm. I shudder to think what the garden looks like right now. Lots of rain and a week of neglect. :ermm:

I love hearing about everyone's garden plans or updates. I think I should be able to harvest some collards soon. :)

I've got a delightful spring cold atm. I shudder to think what the garden looks like right now. Lots of rain and a week of neglect. :ermm:

I love hearing about everyone's garden plans or updates. I think I should be able to harvest some collards soon. :)

Kathleen, did you get over the cold? How's the garden?:)
Here is a picture of one garden--the raised lasagna garden. The other garden's aren't photogenic yet.

Attachments

• raised lasagna garden 2011.jpg
    raised lasagna garden 2011.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 160
I still have a bit of a cough.

Today, I went to my garden and found that most of my lettuce and collards had bolted. :mad: I may stick to leaf lettuce next year and only do collards in the fall. The peas did not do much either.

I now have several kinds of tomatoes, tomatillos, a little bit of corn, a few melons, two cucumbers, some varieties of eggplant, pattypan squash, yellow squash, a bush watermelon, 12 kinds of peppers, three okra plants, two artichokes, and two kinds of snap beans. My onions and shallots look good. I'm unsure whether the cauliflower is going to do much of anything, but I have hopes for the cabbage. Four red lettuce remain of the lettuce. We picked the kohlrabi today. Now I need to see what to do with it.

I'm exhausted today between the transplanting of space, weeding, and replanting.

Your raised garden looks great. I keep waffling between adding raised beds next year. What have you planted in the other beds?

I still have a bit of a cough.

Today, I went to my garden and found that most of my lettuce and collards had bolted. :mad: I may stick to leaf lettuce next year and only do collards in the fall. The peas did not do much either.

I now have several kinds of tomatoes, tomatillos, a little bit of corn, a few melons, two cucumbers, some varieties of eggplant, pattypan squash, yellow squash, a bush watermelon, 12 kinds of peppers, three okra plants, two artichokes, and two kinds of snap beans. My onions and shallots look good. I'm unsure whether the cauliflower is going to do much of anything, but I have hopes for the cabbage. Four red lettuce remain of the lettuce. We picked the kohlrabi today. Now I need to see what to do with it.

It is fun but exhausting at the same time isn't it. :)

It is probably getting too hot for the cauliflower, cabbage and the red lettuce. Those things, broccoli, head lettuce, peas, collards, chard, etc, like cooler weather. We have had too much heat and with the predicted temps this week they may bold on you. I have some romaine planted with the tomatoes and it is still young and looks like it is about to bolt.

If you put in the cool weather vegetables at the start - mid August as plants they should do well in the fall.

Glad you are feeling a bit better!!

Kohlrabi is very nice raw--sliced very thin. I don't peel it if it is under 2" in diameter. You can julienne it and make a nice slaw out of it. You can steam the leaves and eat those like spinach. You can cook kohlrabi as well.

CW, I'm pretty sure there was a kohlerabi slaw recipe on here somewhere that sounded pretty good. We usually just eat them raw in sticks.

The rest of the gardens have--garlic, 6 kinds of tomatoes, 4 kinds of peppers, kohlerabi, beets, turnips, cucumbers, 2 kinds of squash, canteloupe, eggplanta and around 10 herbs, and probably more I've forgotten already.

Kathleen--you can try planting lettuce again once your tomato and eggplants are tall enough to provide some shade (I plant lettuce under the leaves of my tomato plants, ditto with basil). I wait until the tomato and eggplant have taken off enough to provide some shade. Mulching helps to slow down the bolting as well. I use grass clippings (we don't mow that often, so my grass clippings are more like hay...) I plant my peas along the fence where the shade hits the garden first...took me a couple of years to realize that was the BEST spot for peas. Peas can be fussy about germinating, etc.

Lettuce does work well in a large container. I've grown it in the house in the winter and a sunny window...

Once you figure out what works in your garden, you can adjust your plans for next year's garden. I planted pumpkin with my corn this year--to discourage the raccoons (even with a fence, the buggers get in). We'll see if that helps.

Due to our altered state way down here in South FL, my tomato plants in pots are on their last legs. I have a question about replanting - I'd like to try some cherry tomatoes that can withstand our hot & humid summer, but remember hearing that you shouldn't plant tomatoes again in the same soil. Does that hold true for those in pots? Do I have to change out the soil? Has to do with the tomato wilt fungus/bacteria problem. TIA

If you had blight or fungus then do no reuse the soil. If not, just remix the soil to loosen it up and add slow release fertilizer and you should be fine. I reuse the soil from my annual pot every year and amend it with compost and Miracl-grow.

Due to our altered state way down here in South FL, my tomato plants in pots are on their last legs. I have a question about replanting - I'd like to try some cherry tomatoes that can withstand our hot & humid summer, but remember hearing that you shouldn't plant tomatoes again in the same soil. Does that hold true for those in pots? Do I have to change out the soil? Has to do with the tomato wilt fungus/bacteria problem. TIA

Ive planted in the same pots after a tomato plant has finished(end of season) and I just take out a bit of the soil and add fresh and have had no issues. Im not sure what types to grow in FL but I added this year another Mr. Stripey as well as some super sweet and a Cherokee Purple and have the early boys and will be getting a few more this week. Its pretty humid here, but not as bad as it gets in St Louis. The few times Ive been in FL in the summer was early summer and I dont recall the humidity as a problem to me.

Also, I would say if you did have a plant that was sick/died, Id change the soil totally.

Thanks, folks. My plants just kind of petered out, got all straggly, and quit blooming, so I pulled them. Sounds like I might be able to get away with replanting in the same big pots with the addition of some fresh dirt and appropriate fertilizer.

As soon as rainy season really sets in (any day now) the humidity is very high all summer. We wait impatiently for a return to dry weather the way the frigid north waits for Spring.

The reason it is requested to plant tomatoes in new soil is nematodes. I move mine to different sites every other year. Now we hav them in back and our biggest worry is gophers the little buggers are a big pain.
kades

The reason it is requested to plant tomatoes in new soil is nematodes. I move mine to different sites every other year. Now we hav them in back and our biggest worry is gophers the little buggers are a big pain.
kades

Hmm. Nematodes, huh? This bears researching with the locals hereabouts -- it would probably be smart to inquire at the county extension office.

Thanks, all.

Hmm. Nematodes, huh? This bears researching with the locals hereabouts -- it would probably be smart to inquire at the county extension office.

Thanks, all.
If my tomatoes were in a planter container I'd change the soil so I could fertilize and nourish the plants.
kades

Back
Top Bottom