Nearly that time again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leanne

Assistant Cook
I've just started looking around for this year's seed orders and thought "Strewth, is it really getting to that time again?" We have had very high winds which have done a lot of damage in our gardens this year so I will have to replace some trees and shrubs. I will be growing all the usual culprits, veg, toms, herbs, grapes, apricots, etc. The work is so worth it when a trip down the garden gives you dinner isn't it? What will you be growing this year?

Last edited:
We will be growing tomatoes ,three kinds of squash. Blue Lake green beans cantalope, Watermellon. We still have carrots, lettuce Chicory root and cabbage ,Beets and red cabbage still in the garden. Had a lovely winter garden this year.

Josie

Garlic, slicing tomatoes, roma tomatoes, peas, peppers, lettuces, green onions, some cucumbers, no beans for a year, corn, herbs, especially basil and dill, and some odd things, eggplant (I've had no luck with this), melons (no luck here either), a few turnips, rutabagas, radishes, kolerobi (sp?), no tomatillas for a year, one zucchini, one pumpkin. Please don't show me a seed catalog, or my list will double.:)

This will be my first attempt at gardening and I'm intimidated! My neighbor has lived here for 40 years and she said we get some nasty bugs that have ruined her garden and she gave up trying so I'm still trying to map out my plan. If I have to fend off too many insects, it might be worth it for me to just stick with the farmers market.

I'm researching seeds for green beans, a few herbs, and ingredients for salsa-a staple for me lol. Tomatoes, green onions, a few peppers, and garlic should do. If I grow enough to make my own salsa I'll be satisfied. I plan on using the county's kitchen to can as much as I can.

I'm still trying to do the cost benefit vs. time and effort analysis and only plant stuff I think we'll really eat that'll make it worth it for me to put the energy into this. I'm also thinking maybe some type of leafy green?

My whole backyard is only 16' x 14', so mostly herbs. Green onions, maybe some beets, 'cause the ones at the store always have nicks in the skin.

I'm so jealous of people with larger yards.

I have to admit that I do it for the sheer joy of doing it and never even think about the energy I put into it or whether it is worth it. I just love the achievement and having food from garden to table in minutes.:)
My garden isn't very big but I make up for that by using lots of hanging baskets and pots and tubs around the main planting spaces. I have a small greenhouse with shelves in it and I put every available inch of it to use.

We have started the flats of leeks, celery, and peppers (hot and sweet). We will be growing tomatoes--heirloom and Romas. Summer squash (zucchini, party pan, mallows), winter squash (acorn, butternut, buttercup), sweet corn, potatoes, onions (garlic in the fall), kohlrabi, kale (lots of kale!), broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, swiss chard, some japanese veggies, beets, carrots, peas, beans (pole, wax, bush), cukes (slicing and pickling), celeriac, rhutabega <sp>, parsnips, tomatillos (whether we want them or not--self-seed), pumpkins, lettuce, radishes and herbs (dill, parsley, thyme, summer and winter savories, coriander, sage, rosemary, lemon grass, french tarragon, lavender, oregano (perennial), marjoram, basil (4-5 varieties), chives). Canteloupe (hopefully these will work this year--didn't last year). We have several garden plots that total over 2000 sq. feet. We raw feed the dogs, so we use a fair amount for doggie veggies. I have probably forgotten some of the root vegetables...we're trying a new variety of peppers (Blue Jay--purple peppers) and Violet Queen cauliflower (purple).

We have raspberries (black), blackberries, saskatoon berries, bush blueberries, rhubarb, and strawberries, as well as some pear and apple trees and high-bush cranberry trees. I hoping to add apricot trees if I can find ones from Manitoba because they are supposed to be hardy here. If I can find horseradish root, I'll add some of that. And, I've been investigating growing morel, oyster, and shitake mushrooms...Good thing my DH is retired. I don't have time to handle all the produce. We mulch between the rows with grass clippings so the weeding is not as overwhelming as one would think.

I love growing kohlrabi. I plant successive plantings. My favorite is the purple, but I like anything purple <g>.

Although not vegetarians, we pretty much produce enough veggies (although my DH would say potatoes are NOT a veggie) to last the winter and until the next harvest season. I still have about 30# of potatoes from last year (we had about 150#). I'd love to try sweet potatoes, but I don't think our growing season is long enough. Our first frost is usually around the 21st of September. And, if I can find some, Jerusalem artichoke...

I just planted my spring garden. Although I think I've planted too early this year. We've had 2 storms come through southern Cali
In the last 3-4 weeks since I planted my garden. The squash and some of the tomatoes aren't doing so well. Did I start too early? It was nice out. Hm.

I am SO excited!

I live in the city, which is fairly crowded. About three blocks from our home, there are city farm garden plots. At that point in the road, one would not know they are smack-dab in the center of a city! I always see people gardening when I drive to or from work. The plots are about 150 square feet, come with water. Hoses, wood chips and leaf compost are also available. There is a small fee for a key to the garden lock and the plot rental is $20/year.

Last year, I inquired and was told that they would place me on a waiting list. I was also told that the list would likely take two years to get to my name. Well, today, we were called to ask if I wanted a plot! I have NO idea what I am doing except writing a check for my plot as soon as I get my contract.

The garden is on the edge of a park. I cannot wait to see where my spot is! Here are some pictures of the road in front of the city farm and some of the actual garden...supplied by Google Maps.

I'm pouring through websites to see where I should start, etc. :w00t:

Attachments

• A Road in the City.jpg
    A Road in the City.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 274
  • City Farms Garden.jpg
    City Farms Garden.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 278
  • City Farms Garden2.jpg
    City Farms Garden2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 279
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them and help out where I can!

I've read about this, and it seems like a lot of fun, largely from shooting the breeze with your fellow green neighbors and coordinating strategic warfare against the foes of a healthy summer squash. Best of luck, Kathleen! If you keep us updated, I promise not to derive sadistic glee from your crop failures, hee hee.

I'm pouring through websites to see where I should start, etc. :w00t:

CONGRATULATIONS! That's fantastic. There is a book "Carrots love Tomatoes" (or is it Tomatoes Love Carrots), anyway, my copy is around her someplace, but not on the bookshelf next to my computer. It is basically about companion planting. To get more "mileage" out of your real estate, you might consider planting carrots between your tomato plants, etc.. I also plant garlic/onions between the tomato plants (I do have a lot more real estate with which to work...however) and basil and parsley.

You may also want to consider a theme garden, e.g., salsa garden, salad garden. Decide what you really like (green beans, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, eggplant) and then sit down with a piece of paper and plot your garden.

Be careful with starting seeds...I have a hard time not planting what I've started so I end up with more plants that I really should have...

I try something new each year. Last year we planted Russian Blue potatoes (LOVE 'EM), the year before it was mallows, the year before that was another kind of summer squash. This year we are trying Violet Queen cauliflower and purple sweet peppers. I am also putting in some "strawberry spinach" this year. Supposedly, these self-seed. Anyone have any experience re: this? How invasive is it?

You'll have so much fun. I love broccoli from the garden...and kale...and sweet corn...and new potatoes...and swiss chard...I can hardly wait for the gardening season!

Good for you Kathleen, I hope you enjoy gardening as much as some of he rest of us. I find it very rewarding. I have only a small space to use, but with some education you can learn how to pack alot into a small space. I love that your community has this available.

@ SomeBunny - We seem to have seven community farms like this one around the city. Also, there are a lot of farming co-ops and also a few community gardens. I love some of the urban gardening groups around here.

@ CWS4322 - I'll look into the books. I'd love to find a good resource about succession planting.

@ Bolas - Beautiful pictures! How much time do you spend on gardening per week?

@ Spork - My total crop yield last year was three cherry tomatoes. But they were excellent cherry tomatoes. :LOL:

@ DaveInMD - You know I will have you on speed dial!

@ PF - I will. I'm sure Frank will too, but he doesn't realize it yet!!!!

Kath last year we had the hottest May and June on record so we lived in the garden.
The garden was established but had not been touched for about 10 years before we moved in, it had no veg plot so with the help of the best Rotovator the Merry Tiller we started the plot the first week in April.
They first thing we did before using the Tiller was to build the raised bed in march, I used a wheel barrow to move 2 tons of delivered top soil 100 yrds and dumped it in the frame, it took me 12 hours with breaks.:)

Tomatoes, to me, are the essence of gardening. A tomato from the garden just tastes so completely different from what you buy in the grocery store that if I had to grow only one thing, a couple of tomato plants would be it.

I always have a good herb garden going. Where I live now my lettuce/greens patch, tomatoes, and herbs are right out the kitchen door. So, when fixing dinner in the summer, I can just step right out and it is seconds from in the garden to on the table.

Back
Top Bottom