Neato planter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I just saw this on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...16591445.60432.188408684561959&type=1&theater

549138_398197656916393_1201276728_n.jpg

It doesn't look like it should be too hard to build. My yard is tiny, so this would be great. I also wouldn't have to bend nearly as much. ;)

Has anyone tried the vertical, round pvc/plastic planters? We ordered one, but haven't set it up yet.

taxlady .. my husband thanks you for putting ideas in my head LOL

That looks like a great planter. I can see a ton of stuff growing in a confined area .. and like you said .. less bending over .. I love this !!

TL--You could use eaves' troughs...attach them to the side of your house by the patio door...
I'm not really allowed to attach something like that to the side of my house. The outside of the building belongs to the condo association.

But, I could build some sort of upright and attach eaves troughs to that. It would be even better with wheels, so I could make sure it got enough sunlight.

taxlady said:
I'm not really allowed to attach something like that to the side of my house. The outside of the building belongs to the condo association.

But, I could build some sort of upright and attach eaves troughs to that. It would be even better with wheels, so I could make sure it got enough sunlight.

Cool planter!

Maybe repurpose a pallet on edge, with a wider base, and attach the eaves to it. Careful of windy days, it might blow over.

Cool planter!

Maybe repurpose a pallet on edge, with a wider base, and attach the eaves to it. Careful of windy days, it might blow over.
Good thinking. I will try to remember to stick it near a wall or fence if it's windy. I like the pallet idea. I saw a DIY vertical planter made from a pallet with a double layer of landscaping fabric stapled to the back. You fill it with soil and plant it while it is lying down. Then, when the plants have had a chance to "take", you stand it up.

taxlady said:
Good thinking. I will try to remember to stick it near a wall or fence if it's windy. I like the pallet idea. I saw a DIY vertical planter made from a pallet with a double layer of landscaping fabric stapled to the back. You fill it with soil and plant it while it is lying down. Then, when the plants have had a chance to "take", you stand it up.

I saw that too!

taxlady said:
Now, I just need to remember the idea in spring and find some pallets.

Hmm. You could do a double sided pallet, start 2 pallets in the same way, then attach them together on a base with wheels. Long bolts.

Hmm. You could do a double sided pallet, start 2 pallets in the same way, then attach them together on a base with wheels. Long bolts.
That's a cool idea. But, for my tiny yard I think I want single sided, so it can face the sun and if I have to move it, it won't be as heavy.

And stapling is more my speed than the bother of drilling holes for bolts. :LOL:

taxlady said:
That's a cool idea. But, for my tiny yard I think I want single sided, so it can face the sun and if I have to move it, it won't be as heavy.

Good point. I also thought about the sun getting to both sides with the original planter idea. One sided might be best. You'll really have to brace it up on the back side, or attach it to something so it doesn't fall over....

Last edited:
Now, I just need to remember the idea in spring and find some pallets.

Do you keep an electronic calendar? I use Outlook, synched with Google Calendar, synched with my Android phone, to remind myself of things like this.

I love this idea - I'm going to print the pic, put it in my Home Improvements folder and put a reminder in Outlook for early spring. Thanks for sharing.

Do you keep an electronic calendar? I use Outlook, synched with Google Calendar, synched with my Android phone, to remind myself of things like this.

I love this idea - I'm going to print the pic, put it in my Home Improvements folder and put a reminder in Outlook for early spring. Thanks for sharing.
:doh:
Yes, I use Google Calendar. I will put the URL of this thread in the reminder.

Back
Top Bottom