"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I start my seeds in little pots made with strips of newspaper... I have a little wooden forming tool deal that does it. I posted a pic of it on one of these gardening threads....
It's really nice to just put the whole thing in the ground instead of worrying about getting it out of the plastic thing in 1 piece. Plus it's good for the soil and less trash.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I start my seeds in little pots made with strips of newspaper... I have a little wooden forming tool deal that does it. I posted a pic of it on one of these gardening threads....
It's really nice to just put the whole thing in the ground instead of worrying about getting it out of the plastic thing in 1 piece. Plus it's good for the soil and less trash.
Great idea! But avoid the Sunday section as all those ads just might turn em into mail ordering worms! Or the comics may just keep em laughing too much to do their work in the ground!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
It should be fine. My grandmother puts layers of newspaper on her garden between the plants and then puts grass clippings on top of that. it helps hold moisture and amends the soil. She has been doing this for as long as I can remember and has great results every year.
That's what I always used to do!

I added lots of leaves and grass clippings.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
Cook

The Potmaker....

Lehman's - Products for Simple, Self-sufficient Living
Old 04-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I would spray the area with Round-up if I were you. It's a systemic insecticide that kills the plant without poisoning the soil. It takes about 10 days to work, but then whatever you've sprayed is dead all the way down to the roots.
that all depends on how much you use, and how close you are to a water source.

round up is deadly to frogs, turtles, and snakes and other aquatic and semi-aquatic creatures. it's not so good for humans to breathe, either.

it will kill the plants though.

since this is going to be a garden, i'd avoid chemicals also, as mav stated. newspapers used to be bad for a garden years ago, because of the chemicals used in the printing, but now they're all supposed to be bio-degradeable inks and paper, so it's a good way to go.

also, if you are going to be eating things from this garden, don't mulch with grass clippings from a lawn that's been treated with either an herbicide or pesticide within the last 3 months.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
...also, if you are going to be eating things from this garden, don't mulch with grass clippings from a lawn that's been treated with either an herbicide or pesticide within the last 3 months.
This is what concerns me about using compost from the city pile - not sure what people have used on their lawns before being added to the general pile. We are trying hard to not use any chemicals for weed killing or our lawn. It's been harder than I thought!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Head Chef

You have smart worms. The Sunday paper gives me heartburn also. Never thought of putting my shredded paper in the compost pile. Will the office waste disintegrate in a compost pile?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Head Chef

If you are talking the usual office paper, yes. I've been putting my shredded paper around the plants and in the compost pile for years. It disappears quickly. Just no plastics or other foreign stuff.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
Master Chef

The paper is not the problem unless it is the laminated add and Sunday paper stuff. That can sometimes be not so good. It is the inks you have to watch, as BT said make sure they are bio-degradable. If you are using stuff from the office, just check the packaging it came in. Most if not all used today is supposed to be bio-degradable.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have always said that one of my goals is to learn something new every day. Mission accomplished for today! I would have never thought about using newspaper in this way.

Barbara