Originally Posted by Constance
I would spray the area with Round-up if I were you. It's a systemic insecticide that kills the plant without poisoning the soil. It takes about 10 days to work, but then whatever you've sprayed is dead all the way down to the roots.
that all depends on how much you use, and how close you are to a water source.
round up is deadly to frogs, turtles, and snakes and other aquatic and semi-aquatic creatures. it's not so good for humans to breathe, either.
it will kill the plants though.
since this is going to be a garden, i'd avoid chemicals also, as mav stated. newspapers used to be bad for a garden years ago, because of the chemicals used in the printing, but now they're all supposed to be bio-degradeable inks and paper, so it's a good way to go.
also, if you are going to be eating things from this garden, don't mulch with grass clippings from a lawn that's been treated with either an herbicide or pesticide within the last 3 months.