Over Abundance of Onions in the Near Future, can i do this ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, each year I grow onions. Problem is , they are sold in sets of 60 ( +/-). i like trying a bunch of varieties . So this year, I wound up with about 300 onions. Not all are full size, but still, quite a bit of onions.

Different varieties store for different lengths of time.
On average I use about 5 onions a week, which puts me at about a years supply.

So, my question is, there are a few Indian recipes I make where you fry the onions in oil, then puree it, and eventually add it to the sauce that is being made.
Can I fry and puree the onions, then freeze it in pre measured amounts for future use without affecting taste or consistency?

Thats kinda what I figured, just wanted to be reassured. That being said, I still will have to account for the other 290 Onions lol .

Luckily withe the different varieties , some need to be picked now, but a good amount will probably remain in the ground a few more weeks until they are ready to be harvested, so that buys me a little time.

You can use ice cube trays to portion and freeze your puree. Pop them out after they are frozen and bag them up. You can use how every many you want when it comes time to cook.

Or just freeze it flat it a ziplock and break off what you need. Easier than ice cube trays.

you can carmelize some of the remaining onions and freeze them too

We have a similar situation - we always end up planting up too much stuff, so the freezers are essential: I do sliced onions, chopped onions, 'soffritto' (onion-carrot-celery) chopped fine, and a lot of other veggies for the freezer. I find it makes life easy a) when you're in a hurry and b)throughout the winter, when, if we can't get out because of the snow, I always have basic ingredients in the freezers.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

"people of ze wurl, relax!" - the utterings of a parrot in Tom Robbins' Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. I love it!

I've always had good luck with storing onions in the legs of support pantyhose. I cut the toes out and secure with a twist tie, then drop the onions down the legs, separating each one with a twist tie.

You don't want to fill each leg because you'd have an onion "leg" that's really, really long, so use several pair of stockings. I get them at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. for pennies.

Once they're secured, I hang them in a cool dry place and use them from the toes up and keep them in a dark, cool, dry place in the house. I've had onions last for more than 6 months this way.

They're fine and don't cause any odors or any problems. It's the best solution I've found so far for storing a large quantity of onions.

Chop up some onion along with carrots and celery and sweat them down for a mire poix then freeze them in recipe size amounts.

Bolas posted a recipe for onion goop a few years back. Basically a bunch of sliced onions and some butter in the slow cooker, fill it to the top, cook until carmelized, then package and freeze. Use for onion soup or whatever.

Or you can do what I do with my overabundance of apples: wait until the neighbors are asleep, then drop off bags of produce on their doorsteps.

Last edited:
Bolas posted a recipe for onion goop a few years back. Basically a bunch of sliced onions and some butter in the slow cooker, fill it to the top, cook until carmelized, then package and freeze. Use for onion soup or whatever.

Or you can do what I do with my overabundance of apples: wait until the neighbors are asleep, then drop off bags of produce on their doorsteps.

I tried Bolas's recipe using just 1 sweet onion in a small crockpot.
(Oh no, not another crock!):LOL:
Anyways it turned out fantastic. Not goopy at all.

When it was done by the morning, I chopped it up. Set it aside while I made chili. I took the chopped onions lined the bottom of a cast iron skillet and made an upside down style cornbread side.

My guys devoured it more than my home made chili!:LOL:

I was at a garage sale once and the lady having the sale had panty hose a nickel a pair. I was so excited (having read how to store onions in the legs.) Boy, did I get the strange looks from other shoppers!

What is onion jam, and how is it different from caramelized onions. I guess you could make some and find out, it might freeze good too.

Larry, you were in New Orleans a while ago. Make up some batches of the "trinity" and freeze for cajun dishes. Or a soffrito for Italian cooking.

I was at a garage sale once and the lady having the sale had panty hose a nickel a pair. I was so excited (having read how to store onions in the legs.) Boy, did I get the strange looks from other shoppers!

What is onion jam, and how is it different from caramelized onions. I guess you could make some and find out, it might freeze good too.

Larry, you were in New Orleans a while ago. Make up some batches of the "trinity" and freeze for cajun dishes. Or a soffrito for Italian cooking.

:ROFLMAO: :roflmao:

Yes indeed, I bet you might have gotten some strange looks, Whiska!

For onion jam, as Rock said, it's just carmelized onions with sugar. Try Bolas's recipe for onion goop, take some out and stir in some sugar, honey, agave, or other sweetner.

...Luckily withe the different varieties , some need to be picked now, but a good amount will probably remain in the ground a few more weeks until they are ready to be harvested, so that buys me a little time.
Or, you could pull those young'uns and grill them. Just clean them off, oil them up, and lay on the grill rack while you're doing something else.

Back
Top Bottom