Pepper Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicklady

Assistant Cook
My Marconi peppers are producing like crazy, but instead of ripening to a nice red, they are rotting!! HELP!

Me too! I love to garden, this year all of my Anahiem's are rotting on the bottom! I have no idea what's up. The rest of the peppers are A.O.K. By the CT., I graduated from H.S. in W. Hartford (Hall H.S.) H.S. sucked but boy do I miss the E. Coast! I'm an East Coast girl down in my bones, but I don't know how anyone can afford to live there!

Your plants are suffering from blossom end rot. Your local garden center can give you something to treat them with.

Blossom End Rot is fairly common but not always easy to fix. My zucchini this year had a case but I think I have it on the run.

Typically it is a byproduct of low phosphorus in your soil. There is a complicated process involved in fixing it, but the easy thing to try is adding Epsom Salts. Try dissolving some in water and pouring on the leafs as well as around the plants. It may help. It worked for the Zucchs...

We had this problem a few years ago with bell peppers. SO got some stuff from the garden center and sprayed it on the plants. Saved most of the crop that year.

Thanks for the articles, I'm going to read them when I get home. The strange thing is all of my peppers are planted in huge pots with the same soil mix. Only one pot is suffering.

Your soil may not be the root cause....consider the moisture available to the plant...more than or less than the others? ....Heavier fruit set? Then again...blossom end rot may not be the problem...I dunno...If you go to a garden center...take a speciman with you...maybe they can help diagnose the exact problem, and recommend a treatment.

I had the problem with plum tomatoes I grew in pots. Rotating the crops did away with it (in other words, next year put something else in the spot where you're putting peppers now). Also, you may be over-watering.

blossom end rot might well be the cause, but if not, check for pepper weevils. if you cut a pepper in half, you might find a small worm growing inside, eating the pith as it grows. that eventually causes the pepper's flesh wall to rot.

hth.

Back
Top Bottom