"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #31
Master Chef

I used to experiment with many types, but have settled on Super Cayennes for just the right amount of heat and they dry well for use over the winter. I like poblanos for my New Mexico green chili, hubby roasts, seeds and peels them, I bag them up and freeze for future use. My husband doesn't really care for bell peppers, so I don't bother. I've never found Annaheims, which I'd like for the aforementioned green chli as well, but have yet to find them around here as seedlings. I've been very successful growing most hot peppers in containers. Remember that heat varies a lot from pepper to pepper even on the same plant, and that peppers cross polinate VERY easily. I've grown a few different varieties in pots on a balcony, saved the seeds for the next year, and come up with totally different looking peppers the next year!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #32
Master Chef

You all have great soil up there, and your growing season is long enough to grow most things. (It might be a little short for things like peanuts or sweet potatoes.)
So go for it!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Let me second Tattrat's suggestion for poblano's - I am fortunate that they are plentiful and cheap here and I use them often in cooking instead of green peppers - they just add a nice zip (they are not at all hot, just flavorful). You do need to roast them first to get the skins off, though. And they are great for chiles rellenos. I also love serranos instead of jalapenos. Anchos, BTW, are dried poblanos. You might be thinking of chipotles, which are smoked jalapenos. Yummm - love chiles. It's a great idea to grow your own.
I grew 17 varieties of chili peppers in Australia. Most of them even made it
through the winter! (This was in central Queensland, which can get very
cold during the winter). I grew everything in pots, because I knew there
were a lot of cut worms in the surrounding soil. I found using pots made it
easy to weed and giving each plant TLC a breeze.

I share your love of chilies, Karen. I miss having all those beautiful, flowering plants in my back yard. Instead, now living in a condominium, I grow only a
few on the verands. Chilies are a hardy plant and lots of fun to grow. The
plants will reward you with more fruit if you pick chilies frequently, rather than leaving them on the plant.

My staple chilies: jalapeņo, poblano, habanero, fresno, birdseye. Cherry tomatoes also grow well in pots, as do bell pepperss.