"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Peppers, tomatoes and all good things

Just picked 6 heirloom tomatoes, 12 Italian sweet peppers, 24 jalapenos, enough basil for 4 cups of pesto, the corn is looking at me so it wont be long now, eggplants are close need to check what else s-i-l has out back sunflowers and hollyhocks are so beautiful so are the dalmation bellflowers, have baby lettuce on the patio and it's lookin good.life on the 8 acres is good.
kades

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sounds yummy, kades. Our container plants are just beginning to bear but Glenn's son, Kenneth, has been showering us with bounty from his large garden.

As for our little piece of gardening, it won't be long before we have more grape tomatoes than we'll know what to do with and our bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, green) are producing nicely but not ripe yet. Our 4 Roma tomato plants are going to yield wonderfully. The eggplant is going great guns and it looks as though it's going to produce quite a few eggplants.

The Italian green beans were an afterthought so we'll see how they fare.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Master Chef

I'd be jealous, but I planted early girls, and for a very short season, I'll pick my first one in a couple of days. Cannot wait!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Didn't know where to put this, but what color are habaneros when they are ripe?? I've been picking some that are orange, but read somewhere that they should be more brown. I've not grown them before, but boy, they sure are hot and good!!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekaboo
Didn't know where to put this, but what color are habaneros when they are ripe?? I've been picking some that are orange, but read somewhere that they should be more brown. I've not grown them before, but boy, they sure are hot and good!!
You can pick them at any stage but down here, we pick'em from bright Orange to dark Orange. Brights best for pickle and cook. Darks good for dehydration and smoking or cook.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a long growing season here, so I've been picking cucumbers, heirloom and Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, pepperoncinis and onions since we got back from our trip to Michigan in mid-July. I've canned several batches of cucumber pickles and pickled jalapenos, and frozen several batches of roasted tomato salsa and plain roasted tomatoes. We also have some green bell peppers that I mostly use in DH's salads.

The tomatillos are starting to come in, so I'll be making roasted tomatillo salsa and freezing that, too. The basil finally started growing well, so I'll be making pesto and freezing that; just need to get some more pine nuts. I love summer!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four String Chef View Post
You can pick them at any stage but down here, we pick'em from bright Orange to dark Orange. Brights best for pickle and cook. Darks good for dehydration and smoking or cook.
Thanks, Four String Chef; I don't have that many so think I'll just eat them as is. Bet they'd make a wonderful tincture when darker, tho.

Got Garlic, isn't it wonderful having all the fresh veggies?! That's my favorite thing about Summer - almost makes the heat & humidity worth it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I have some Mole Peppers in the garden that are long and a deep green. Anyone have any TNT suggestions on what to make? I'm at a loss.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I have some Mole Peppers in the garden that are long and a deep green. Anyone have any TNT suggestions on what to make? I'm at a loss.
I wasn't familiar with mole peppers, so I looked it up, and they sound similar to poblano peppers, so you could probably use them in recipes that call for poblanos. Bobby Flay has a creamy poblano rice dish; you can stuff them with cheese or other goodies and bake or batter and fry them. One of our local restaurants used to do poblanos stuffed with chicken, shrimp and cheese served with mole sauce. You could also add them to a corn salsa. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD
I immediately thought chilis rellanos too.

Maybe stuffed, wrapped in bacon, and grilled. Kinda like ABTs.

Tags
peppers, tomatoes