"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #111
Executive Chef

Looks great Beth!

Does the hay keep moisture iin the soil?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #112
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Looks great Beth!

Does the hay keep moisture iin the soil?
There are several reasons we put hay on the garden. We cut our own hay for feed, but the first cutting generally is not suitable for feed. So we have 300+ bales of hay that need to be removed from the hay loft to make room for the second cutting of hay each July. That is a perfect time to mulch the garden, killing two birds with one stone. The hay mulch is for moisture conservation and for weed control, but also we have to use 300+ bales of hay in some manner from mid May to mid July each year.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
There are several reasons we put hay on the garden. We cut our own hay for feed, but the first cutting generally is not suitable for feed. So we have 300+ bales of hay that need to be removed from the hay loft to make room for the second cutting of hay each July. That is a perfect time to mulch the garden, killing two birds with one stone. The hay mulch is for moisture conservation and for weed control, but also we have to use 300+ bales of hay in some manner from mid May to mid July each year.
I live about 20 minutes from any farms. Where would I go to get some hay for my garden? I was reading here that it helps with strawberries, and I'm watering everyday since it's been so dry. (almost lost my Romas over the 4th weekend)
Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #114
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I live about 20 minutes from any farms. Where would I go to get some hay for my garden? I was reading here that it helps with strawberries, and I'm watering everyday since it's been so dry. (almost lost my Romas over the 4th weekend)
I would call around to feed stores or agricultural equipment dealers and ask for farmers who sell hay. This would be a good time to be buying it, farmers need to be clearing out their barns for the next round of hay coming off their fields. Prices will vary. Because of the drought last year, prices have been unreasonable in most places. Me, today, I gave away 17 bales, to a friend. As he was loading it he said hay in northern Ohio was going for $5. to $7. a bale.

If you get some phone numbers of some farmers, offer to help clear out their barns of old hay. Got a pick-up? My friend got 17 bales on his, and it was a small pick-up.

Yep, hay is great for strawberries...hope you find some...
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #115
Executive Chef

Cool thanks. I'll definately call around.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
It's growing!!

Finally! I even have a flower on 1 tomato plant!!!
Maybe late september???
Boy I hope next spring is better than this one was.
I have squash on the other side of the yard but it needs weeding BADLY so it's not photo worthy.
Do you think it's too late for corn? We had a bad storm here lst week so the farmers although VERY late are scrambling to plant more.... do you think I could get away with another try?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	4603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	4604  

Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #117
Master Chef

Probably so, if you plant an early variety, like Early Xtra Sweet or, my favorite, Silver Queen. You can give it a head start if you sprout the seeds in damp paper towels before you plant.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #118
Executive Chef

Looks great Suzi! Good luck with it.

I'm getting some ants on my plants. (lol)

Anyway, it seems something likes my orange bell pepper plant. I looked up pest control but everything said that ants and other critters were good for your veggies.

The bees are going crazy too. Maybe because the hostas are in bloom? I dunno, but they're all over the garden too.

When should you harvest Cayennes or Habaneros, when they are still green but the right size or do they need to change color first?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

pick the first few a little early; when still green. this makes the plant try to produce more and hotter fruits afterwards, thinking that it's not going to be able to propogate. also, it allows more energy to go into developing the larger harvest of later fruits.

you have to outsmart your peppers.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #120
Executive Chef

Some more lilies decided to show up. The Tiger Lily is as tall as me.