Pics from the garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i usually start my tomatoes by seed april 1st, and they are ready to go outside in may, but it seems like it takes until june before they really kick in. Honestly, this past week was the first week I saw obvious growth spurts. Up until now, its been going kinda slow. Right now im fighting with the slugs, chipmunks, moles and ants.

My green thumb is getting black with envy.
I couldn't get anything in until June 2nd this year. It's usually May 20 or so.
I'm seriously considering visiting Uncle Bob's bourbon bunker and squash farm, buying a chunk of land and a tent, and never returning.

I'm jealous too. We had to plant late as well because we had an extra cold spring. And what we did plant got off to a rough start because it went from winter to summer and everything got scorched.

The hardware store wanted $10 a meter so I made up my own tree surrounds for $1.60 a meter.
2638216014_157ee44d3d.jpg

Son Todd decided this is a must have item in the garden but I haven't worked out what it's good for yet.
2638217114_f83294f532.jpg

attie what did you make those with?
I've started picking corners,trees, little areas to turn over and get ready for next year.... and I need cheap borders for them!

attie, are the pods or beans/peas inside edible?

i had a good laugh today when i gave the turkish neighbor lady a coupla gigantic red and white swiss chard plants from my garden. she looked at them like they were ice from mars.
my boy and i munched on them raw, like celery. the little turks next door, invading like salah al din's troops :cool:, joined in on the feast as we were weeding. then they sacked my raspberries. :( where the heck are the macedonians and romanians when you need them?

she eventually asked my wife what the swiss chards were, so she said the greens are like spinach and the stems somewhat like celery. cook them accordingly. i thought to say it's like spinach on steroids, but she might not get it.
i'd love to know what she ends up making with them.

then i gave her a bunch of nice young purple top white turnips. i wonder if she knows what to do with that evil barbarian veggie. :)

buckytom said:
attie, are the pods or beans/peas inside edible?
There's nothing but pith inside them Tom, they're called 5 finger Limes or Budhas Hands, apparently they preserve them. Sounds like you have a lot of fun with your neighbour :LOL:

Last edited:
she eventually asked my wife what the swiss chards were, so she said the greens are like spinach and the stems somewhat like celery. cook them accordingly. i thought to say it's like spinach on steroids, but she might not get it.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

we are pretty darned proud of this years sweet corn...only three more hurdles to go; keeping out the corn ear worms, crows and raccoons:mad:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 207
Looks great Beth!

Does the hay keep moisture iin the soil?

There are several reasons we put hay on the garden. We cut our own hay for feed, but the first cutting generally is not suitable for feed. So we have 300+ bales of hay that need to be removed from the hay loft to make room for the second cutting of hay each July. That is a perfect time to mulch the garden, killing two birds with one stone. The hay mulch is for moisture conservation and for weed control, but also we have to use 300+ bales of hay in some manner from mid May to mid July each year.

There are several reasons we put hay on the garden. We cut our own hay for feed, but the first cutting generally is not suitable for feed. So we have 300+ bales of hay that need to be removed from the hay loft to make room for the second cutting of hay each July. That is a perfect time to mulch the garden, killing two birds with one stone. The hay mulch is for moisture conservation and for weed control, but also we have to use 300+ bales of hay in some manner from mid May to mid July each year.

I live about 20 minutes from any farms. Where would I go to get some hay for my garden? I was reading here that it helps with strawberries, and I'm watering everyday since it's been so dry. (almost lost my Romas over the 4th weekend)

I live about 20 minutes from any farms. Where would I go to get some hay for my garden? I was reading here that it helps with strawberries, and I'm watering everyday since it's been so dry. (almost lost my Romas over the 4th weekend)

I would call around to feed stores or agricultural equipment dealers and ask for farmers who sell hay. This would be a good time to be buying it, farmers need to be clearing out their barns for the next round of hay coming off their fields. Prices will vary. Because of the drought last year, prices have been unreasonable in most places. Me, today, I gave away 17 bales, to a friend. As he was loading it he said hay in northern Ohio was going for $5. to $7. a bale.

If you get some phone numbers of some farmers, offer to help clear out their barns of old hay. Got a pick-up? My friend got 17 bales on his, and it was a small pick-up.

Yep, hay is great for strawberries...hope you find some...

It's growing!!

Finally! I even have a flower on 1 tomato plant!!!
Maybe late september??? :ermm:
Boy I hope next spring is better than this one was.
I have squash on the other side of the yard but it needs weeding BADLY so it's not photo worthy. :angel:
Do you think it's too late for corn? We had a bad storm here lst week so the farmers although VERY late are scrambling to plant more.... do you think I could get away with another try?

Attachments

• IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2691.jpg
    IMG_2691.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 183
Probably so, if you plant an early variety, like Early Xtra Sweet or, my favorite, Silver Queen. You can give it a head start if you sprout the seeds in damp paper towels before you plant.

Last edited:
Looks great Suzi! Good luck with it.

I'm getting some ants on my plants. (lol)

Anyway, it seems something likes my orange bell pepper plant. I looked up pest control but everything said that ants and other critters were good for your veggies. :(

The bees are going crazy too. Maybe because the hostas are in bloom? I dunno, but they're all over the garden too.

When should you harvest Cayennes or Habaneros, when they are still green but the right size or do they need to change color first?

pick the first few a little early; when still green. this makes the plant try to produce more and hotter fruits afterwards, thinking that it's not going to be able to propogate. also, it allows more energy to go into developing the larger harvest of later fruits.

you have to outsmart your peppers. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom