Pics from the garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
great job on the gardens suzi, I bet you get food before October..isn't it exciting???

Larry, I'd love to send over about 50 acres, seems like all we do is pay taxes on most of our land.

My garden pic was from last year, but this year i currently got string beans, cucumbers, garlic, soy beans, chard, corn, nappa cabbage, leeks, zucchini, yellow squash, beets, carrots, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, peas, potatoes, Batata, maxixe, malanga, okra, basil, chives, rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley and im sure a few other things i forgot. lettuce and radishes are done already. Oh yeah, jerusalem artichokes as well. What is cool is that i was looking at the satellite pics on google, and I can actually see my garden layout.

Larry I'm amazed at what you can do in a small space!
We tried at our old house.... first year went well, 2nd year..... bad year.
3rd year, sold the dump and spread out!!!!
But I bet they have LOTS of peppermint in the lawn...... :)

What do all of you buy as plants and what do you plant from seed?

Here's my list:

Plants: all herbs, Ichiban eggplants, 95% of my annual flowers

Seeds: pole and bush beans, radishes, sunflowers

Sometimes plants, sometimes started from seed (mostly the former, these days): tomato varieties, jalapenos

Tomatoes I start by seed indoors ( april 1st). I keep a halogen light on them and keep them in the boiler room which stays a constant 75 - 80 degrees. Everything else I start directly in the garden ( peas, cucumbers, sring beans, okra, chard, beets, carrots, tomatillo,radish, leeks.

Plants I usually buy peppers, eggplant, zucchini, celery, most herbs.

This year, for some reason ive not been having great luck with the seeds ( maybe because it was too wet and they were rotting) so I did have to break down and buy some cucumber and string bean plants after 2 or 3 attempts at seeds with poor results.

and Garlic I buy heads from the store in october/ november and plant them then. As long as the winter isnt too bad, i usually get a nice crop.

from seed: 2 varieties of mesculun mixes; regular red and watermelon radishes; danvers half long carrots; purple top turnips; neon lights swiss chard; snap and snow peas; prize winner and blue moon pumpkins.

from plants: thai bird, jalapeno, cherry, and banana hot peppers; green bell, italian frying, and korean sweet peppers; japanese white and fingerling black eggplants; roma, grape, early girl, supersteak, and macedonian tomatoes; yellow and white corn; regular cukes; thyme and sweet italian basil; and i'm not sure what kind of beans my son brought home from a school project. teacher says they're string beans but the look more like a bush variety to me.

Wow. That is a lot of squash. Here are some pictures of this year's wildflowers that are planted along my fence.

Attachments

• fence flowers.jpg
    fence flowers.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 204
  • fence flowers2.jpg
    fence flowers2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 194
  • blue flowers.jpg
    blue flowers.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 167
  • bright blue.jpg
    bright blue.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 192
  • purple and white.jpg
    purple and white.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 163
No room for a garden and any indoor plants will get eaten by my lovely kitties :rolleyes: but I was able to grow this amaryllis without any little nibbles taken out of it!

Attachments

• Random Stuff 028.jpg
    Random Stuff 028.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Random Stuff 020.jpg
    Random Stuff 020.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 172
  • Random Stuff 029.jpg
    Random Stuff 029.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 160
Wow! What a fine vegetable garden you have there, Uncle Bob!

My first MIL (born and raised in Gonzales, La) made a meat-stuffed yellow squash baked in Creole sauce that was out of this world. Do you know the dish?

That's a beautiful amaryllis, Mrs. Cuillo!

Here's an oriental lily from my garden...

Back
Top Bottom