"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Cute baby! Very nice garden! Eeks on the snake! Those are some huge berries - my kids would love to make a smoothie with those :-). I can't do any digging here in this rental for a garden, but I can do containers - next year I'll be doing a nice one.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

What is around the border? It looks like pressure treated lumber. I want to do something like that in my yard but read somewhere that you should not use pressure treated lumber.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Cook

your garden so good,l like it so much
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoc View Post
What is around the border? It looks like pressure treated lumber. I want to do something like that in my yard but read somewhere that you should not use pressure treated lumber.
Correct.
Pressure treated lumber contains poisons that have varying degrees of toxins depending on where/by whom they are made. You are better to go with stone or no border. An alternative is natural wood that has its own preservative in its composition such as cedar, but more pricey. Plastic will do but it does have the "lasts forever" environmental problem.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

The old CCA treated lumber had some minor issues of leaching low levels of Arsenic into the nearby soil however, I think CCA treated lumber is now only used for special applications and is not readily available to the general public for the past several years ...The newer treated lumber is MCQ or something like that, and is perfectly safe for raised beds....In the end -- Do your own research, and make your own decision....

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Very nice!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
The old CCA treated lumber had some minor issues of leaching low levels of Arsenic into the nearby soil however, I think CCA treated lumber is now only used for special applications and is not readily available to the general public for the past several years ...The newer treated lumber is MCQ or something like that, and is perfectly safe for raised beds....In the end -- Do your own research, and make your own decision....
Have Fun!
Yes, the arsenic was removed many years ago, but I would rather play it safe and sitck with natural wood or stone around my food. I have lost my faith in Gov't approved/allowed chemicals.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

I am totally jealous of those blackberries! Haven't seen any that good looking since I was a kid living in GA.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #19
Cook

Very Nice. Getting ready to plant my first this year. Use to plant gardens growing up as a kid but havn't done it in about 10 years.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i have ten different kinds of veggies planted in containers. everything is coming up. been about two to three weeks. i am pleased so far. hope they continue to be healthy.