Planting Garlic from Sprouted Cloves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to grow garlic now. I want big bulbs. I want tasty garlic.

I have had people ask me if i wanted garlic they grew and of course I said yes.
They looked more like over done green onions. Skinny and not garlic like.

Why don't you? As they say bigger isn't always better.
What I planted was store bought. They weren't that big to begin with. Boy, when I used just one clove that I had planted it was powerful.You knew you were in good company.A little went a long way.

I have just been given a large grocery bag of fresh organic garlic.Huge bulbs.If one sprouts it's going to be planted.I'm sure they will grow to be as large as the original bulbs.Planting in containers uses less water.
Beats getting a fine for water waste.

Why don't you? As they say bigger isn't always better.
What I planted was store bought. They weren't that big to begin with. Boy, when I used just one clove that I had planted it was powerful.You knew you were in good company.A little went a long way.

I have just been given a large grocery bag of fresh organic garlic.Huge bulbs.If one sprouts it's going to be planted.I'm sure they will grow to be as large as the original bulbs.Planting in containers uses less water.
Beats getting a fine for water waste.

I will plant some this fall. thanks.
Bigger for me, is easier peeling. lol

How do you keep your planting containers from freezing solid during the winter?
It would seem the ground would be better?

Where do you live that is under a drought? We have not had water restrictions here in the southeast since I came here over 20 years ago.

Where do you live that is under a drought? We have not had water restrictions here in the southeast since I came here over 20 years ago.

I'm in southeastern Virginia - zone 7 - and while I plant my garlic in the ground, I don't think it would freeze in a container here; it doesn't typically get that cold. And the garlic can tolerate some cold temps.

I don't know where Munky lives, but all of California has been experiencing a drought for a few years now. People really need to stop trying to grow grass out there.

The planter is placed on the patio that's covered.It will get the morning/afternoon sun.It's also blocked by the high winds that we get here. When I had a garden my tomatoes would be planted on that side of the house as well.Moisture in the air, we call it fog watch at night,helps to reduce how much water they will need.Especially if it ends up getting wrapped in plastic.Let the dew do it's thing. If the frost gets too bad I find someone who's bigger than myself to move the planter.

This is how bad things have gotten here.

News from The Associated Press

I'm in southeastern Virginia - zone 7 - and while I plant my garlic in the ground, I don't think it would freeze in a container here; it doesn't typically get that cold. And the garlic can tolerate some cold temps.

I don't know where Munky lives, but all of California has been experiencing a drought for a few years now. People really need to stop trying to grow grass out there.

"People need to stop trying to grow grass out there"

Trust me it's not that simple. I've just replanted the front lawn that's small because of the last threat from the Nanny Lawn Police.This time last year they wanted to implement fines for people like me who let the lawns,flower gardens die.Their thought was "It makes the neighborhood look like abandoned houses.Blight" Clean it up pretty.

We can't win no matter what we do.
I'm keeping that small lawn.I do have a right to try and protect some of my hard earned investment money.My home.From having a fire hazard on my hands.The backyard is gone.I haven't had a garden in years because of the drought.My car needs a good bath.I can't see out the windshield.So if I wreck it I'll me paying for that to.

"People need to stop trying to grow grass out there"

Trust me it's not that simple. I've just replanted the front lawn that's small because of the last threat from the Nanny Lawn Police.This time last year they wanted to implement fines for people like me who let the lawns,flower gardens die.Their thought was "It makes the neighborhood look like abandoned houses.Blight" Clean it up pretty.

We can't win no matter what we do.
I'm keeping that small lawn.I do have a right to try and protect some of my hard earned investment money.My home.From having a fire hazard on my hands.The backyard is gone.I haven't had a garden in years because of the drought.My car needs a good bath.I can't see out the windshield.So if I wreck it I'll me paying for that to.

I know it's not that simple - that was just an example. I know that agriculture uses a lot more water than households in California. I think it was a mistake many decades ago to try to grow water-intensive crops in a desert climate. It worked for a while, but it's unsustainable for the long term.

But also, the idea that a perfect residential landscape should be grass and a few shrubs but no bugs is a problem in a lot of ways, and not just in California. I'm a Master Gardener and we try to persuade people to use native plants in their landscapes, to reduce water and pesticide use and encourage a healthy ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom